having trouble starting my Peterbilt for a few days need help!! Thank yiu

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Nestor, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Nestor

Nestor Light Load Member

Oct 21, 2015
    I’m having trouble starting my 97 Peterbilt 379 with 3406 e. So outside temp is about 15 degrees f. Pretty cold. When I try to start truck it only crAnks for about 2 second and then stops. Crank sounds weak . I ran cables to it from another truck and still does same thing . My volt gauge reads 13 or higher when I start cranking it. It only does this when it’s cold . I think one of the inside cab lights was left on for couple days maybe drained my batterie but I ran cables. For a while . Weak spark when I connect jumper cables . But volt meter goes up pretty high.
    This always happens when it’s cold but ussually starts up with jumper cables . Warm weather starts right up any one know what can be promble
    Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    If the batteries are weak and your trying to jump it.... it will take awhile. Been there done that. If the starter is lagging when it’s normal.... time to replace the starter. Been there done that.

BoxCarKidd and Nestor Thank this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I'd check all your positive and negative connections as well. A rotten cable or poor connection will cause slow cranking speed too.

Roger McG, Oxbow, BoxCarKidd and 3 others Thank this.
  5. Muddydog79

Muddydog79 Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2016
    You have bad cells in one or more batteries. My truck did same exact thing, voltage never dropped though. 2 out of 3 batteries was bad. Had to jump it off maybe 4 wkends in a row, thought i had a parasitic drain somewhere that i couldnt find. The last time i tried to jump it off, smoke boiled off the hot post and dang near melted the post in half lol. Took batteries to have em checked and sure enough. Replaced all 3, no more problems.

BoxCarKidd and Nestor Thank this.
  6. Muddydog79

Apr 14, 2016
    It would drag alot worse the colder it was as well. Warmer mornings, it wasnt half as bad.

Nestor Thanks this.
  7. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    If you haven’t got it running yet, run a couple tests. I ran into something like this on an old farm tractor, so I’m modifying from that. It’s start with what I know you have on hand. Take your jumper cables and run them from the large power and ground posts on your starter directly to the batteries, if it turns over better disconnect power and crank it again, repeat with the ground also. This will check if your cables they could be burnt or have a bad/loose crimp. You can test the ground strap to the frame also like this
    Next if you have a volt meter. Crank the engine to blow off the surface charge, disconnect all your batteries and test their voltage. If one is more than 0.5 volts lower, or below 11 volts the battery is probably the problem.

Nestor Thanks this.
  8. Nestor

Nestor Light Load Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Thanks a lot for your help guys!!! I replaced batteries and started right up no problem . Thanks again

9. Muddydog79

Apr 14, 2016
  10. beemergary

beemergary Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Volts don't crank your engine. You need cranking amps. Bought a battery analyzer for about $30.00. Will tell you your cranking amps. I had one bad battery. Check all your connections. Cold damp weather has an effect.

Nestor Thanks this.
  11. Ccjohn

Ccjohn Bobtail Member

Sep 29, 2016
    If your batteries test good my money is on the starter. We’ve got 7 379s and identical simptums happened to a truck last winter and a different truck this winter. Crank over a few times and no start. Always when it was less than 15. Put a new starter and they were good as new.

Good luck jumping it. I tried jumping the trucks in those scinereos and I had good quality 0 gauge cables for an hour+ with no luck. Try plugging the truck in for a few hours. It will help it start if you get the block temp up

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.