Hazmat and Reefers!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by celticwolf, Nov 6, 2010.

1. celticwolf

celticwolf Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Kittrell, NC
    I am kind of on the fence here, so your opinions may knock me off the fence. :biggrin_25513:

If you were driving reefers would you get or keep your Hazmat endorsement? Why?

Doubles/triples? Why?

I plan on getting the passenger and school bus, but that is just to help out my church..

Not sure if I want to drive tankers..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 2Tall

2Tall Light Load Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Richmond Va.
    I still have all my endorsements, except school bus ( don't think I could deal with those kids ):biggrin_25523:.. I would rather have them and not need them, than need them and not have them ... just my 2 1/2 cents.

Rollr4872 and outerspacehillbilly Thank this.
  4. celticwolf

Oct 10, 2010
    Kittrell, NC
    My church has a couple "school" buses they use to transport the church kids to camps and other events. Believe it or not they are all decent kids.

Your reason is why I am on the fence.

5. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    I've always kept all endorsements because you never know. You might quit one job and another good job requiring an endorsement might come available.

Pulling reefer, I might pull 3-4 hazmat loads a year. You never know on the back hauls. There are hazmat loads in the food industry and some that you have to protect from freezing. The last one I pulled was pool chemicals. A CHR load.

outerspacehillbilly Thanks this.
  6. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Keep that hazmat !

Many medical loads are temp controlled loads. And many med loads are placard.

Doubles and triples ? Your call. But if you want to seriously move into LTL. You'll need it at some point.

Dropping my hazmat, cost me dearly. Lesson learned, and corrected.

While you may never use it at your current position. You never know when the opportunity will knock for you to move into what is considered a excellent company position, with an even better company.

And many of the better companies want hazmat in hand, when applying.

7. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Yeah, if you currently have all the endorsements or any endorsements, keep them. It cost you nothing except Haz renewals, right?

8. trukngrl

trukngrl Lollipop, lollipop...

Mar 7, 2009
    Manchester, Ga
    If you already have the endorsements I would keep them. You never know when you are going to need them

9. celticwolf

Oct 10, 2010
    Kittrell, NC
    Ok I fell off the fence.. I am getting the endorsements

10. outerspacehillbilly

outerspacehillbilly "Instigator of the Legend"

May 28, 2009
    The Who's Your State
    I have every endorsement available. I've nevr used most of them but i have them if a job comes available that requires them I can be one step ahead of the guy that has to go get those endorsements. As somebody else said, I'd rather have them and never need them than need them and not have them.

11. Scuby

Scuby Heavy Load Member

Mar 10, 2007
    The only endorsments I don't have is passenger and motorcycle. Hazmat is good because it does gives you more options on loads. Dbls/triples and tanker is also a good idea if you get an offer you can't refuse. The thing with dbls/triples and tankers one usualy needs two or three years experince minium(sp) to get on companies that pull those. A lot of drivers don't like pulling reefers because sometimes there is long waits loading/unloading and noise, but people have to eat. A newer and well maintain reefer usually doesn't make anymore noise than an idling truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.