HazMat Endorsement

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by trey0311, Apr 28, 2017.

1. trey0311

trey0311 Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2017
    NC
    In NC looking to get a my hazmat endorsement. I see you need to get a BG check from the TSA to be eligible which costs money (of course) I use to work in chem plants down in Louisiana and still have a valid TWIC from the TSA.

Can I just give them that (it's the same #### check) and will they wave the fee and the additional check?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Landincoldfire

Landincoldfire Heavy Load Member

Sep 27, 2015
    New Holland, Pa
    Nope, still have to do the deed.

Toomanybikes, Lepton1 and trey0311 Thank this.
  4. Jfairley00

Jfairley00 Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2017
    So if I go to a driving school or program I won't get the hazmat endorsement

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. Landincoldfire

Landincoldfire Heavy Load Member

Sep 27, 2015
    New Holland, Pa
    You can add it at any point.

Most get it when they first get the CDL as it can save a little. Get the background check and finger print while in school.

6. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Check on the DHS website. I think if you still have a TWIC there's a slight discount involved, but yeah...you still gotta feed the bear for the hazmat.

trey0311 Thanks this.
  7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    ...And pay for it. That, of course, is the whole point. :rolleyes:

8. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Save the receipt. Some employers may reimburse you. Or you can always write it off on your taxes

Jfairley00 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  9. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Since most driving schools are fast tracking you to get your CDL with a bare minimum of training, they would rather you don't get your Hazmat endorsement. It delays receiving your CDL.

After starting work for a company ask them if they reimburse you for the Hazmat endorsement. Most do.

ExOTR, Jfairley00 and Ryan423 Thank this.
  10. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    My private school gave us a few hours off to get printed. The costs for the prints were not covered by my tuition. You will be long graduated from CDL school if you use a private school before you get your prints back.

It takes about a month for TSA to get you approved and they will send you some letter. You won't be able to test for your hazmat endorsement until you have that letter with you.

I was charged an extra $10 reprint fee after they added on that final endorsement. Your hazmat endorsement is good until your CDL expires. Then you have to reprint with TSA again and retake the hazmat test.

Fun times.

11. Bo Hunt

Bo Hunt Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2015
    You can take the test before you do the prints. Take the test with all of your other written tests. Go do your prints. Go to DMV for the license after road test. They put all endorsements except hazmat on, and those are the ones you pay for. When bg check comes back tetirn, get hazmat addef and pay endorsement fee. Not hard at all.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.