Hazmat question, A/C Units with 2500 lbs of refrigeration gas?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by 6wheeler, Oct 16, 2018.

1. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Flatbed hauling ac units with 2500 lbs of refredration non-flamble gas.
    Shipper says it's not hazmat because it's less than 5000 lbs. Dot 173.306 iv. A

I said it is because it's over 1001 pounds.

Who's right?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's a load of Air Conditioning Units.

It's the same principle as to why we don't cover Cars in car carriers with flammable hazmat (Gasoline etc.) among other things like Acid, corrosive for battery etc.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  4. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Each refrigeration unit may have up to 5,000 pounds before the labeling (placarding) rules apply.
    49 CFR 173.306
    (e)Refrigerating machines.

(1) New (unused) refrigerating machines or components thereof are excepted from the specificationpackaging requirements of this part if they meet the following conditions. In addition, shipments are not subject to subpart F of part 172 of this subchapter, to part 174 of this subchapter except § 174.24 and topart 177 of this subchapter except § 177.817.

(i) Each pressure vessel may not contain more than 5,000 pounds of Group A1 refrigerant as classified in ANSI/ASHRAE Standard 15 or not more than 50 pounds of refrigerant other than Group A1.

(ii) Machines or components having two or more charged vessels may not contain an aggregate of more than 2,000 pounds of Group I refrigerant or more than 100 pounds of refrigerant other than Group I.

(iii) Each pressure vessel must be equipped with a safety device meeting the requirements of ANSI/ASHRAE 15 (IBR, see § 171.7 of this subchapter).

(iv) Each pressure vessel must be equipped with a shut-off valve at each opening except openings used for safety devices and with no other connection. These valves must be closed prior to and during transportation.

(v) Pressure vessels must be manufactured, inspected and tested in accordance with ANSI/ASHRAE 15, or when over 6 inches internal diameter, in accordance with Section VIII of the ASME Code (IBR, see § 171.7 of this subchapter).

(vi) All parts subject to refrigerant pressure during shipment must be tested in accordance with ANSI/ASHRAE 15.

(vii) The liquid portion of the refrigerant, if any, may not completely fill any pressure vessel at 130 °F.

(viii) The amount of refrigerant, if liquefied, may not exceed the filling density prescribed in § 173.304.

(2)Used refrigerating machines -

(i)Packaging. Reconditioned (used) refrigerating machines (UN 2857, Div. 2.2) may be excepted from the marking requirements of § 172.302(c) of this subchapter and transported by motor vehicle when they conform to the requirements prescribed in § 173.306(e)(1), are secured or permanently attached to the motor vehicle, and are:

(A) Permanently affixed to a steel base structure,

(B) Permanently affixed to a trailer, or

(C) Manufactured with a rigid internal structure designed for transportation and stacking conditions such that they do not leak and do not deteriorate, distort, or become damaged in a manner that could adversely affect their safety or reduce their strength in transportation, cause instability in stacks of refrigerating machines, or cause damage to these machines in a way that is likely to reduce safety in transportation.

5. brian991219

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Short answer, shipper is correct. See my post above for the actual regulation.

Lepton1, PoleCrusher, stwik and 4 others Thank this.
  6. 6wheeler

Aug 30, 2009
    I had a hazmat license years ago but this through me a curve thanks

7. brian991219

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    No problem, better to ask than be the one getting a citation.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I did too.

But, I don't mind looking things up and relearning if necessary things that may or may be in fact. You had a very good question.

5000 pounds of liquid refrigeration. Whew there is only one place I can think of to send that, Woodlawn Maryland, Home of Social Security and the location of one of the greatest BIG old school data center that requires serious cooling.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  9. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    what is the name of the refrigerant?

never mind. lol. better answer above.

Oldironfan and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. 6wheeler

Aug 30, 2009
    Pretty close. US postal service Washington DC.

Oldironfan and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    There’s a great free app called ez-placard. I have a fishing buddy who’s a dot officer who put me into it. They use it as well. Just input the hazmat info, and it tells you what placards are required, if any.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.