Hazmat question motorcycles and lawnmowers

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ucwjeff, Jul 24, 2008.

  1. ucwjeff

    ucwjeff Bobtail Member

    Jul 12, 2008
    I read on a post a guy was hauling custom motorcycles and since they had gas in the tanks he needed a hazmat placard now if this is true what about all the guys with mowing companys i never see hazmat for the lawnmowers or is this just a local issue
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  3. LadyDallasDriver

    LadyDallasDriver Light Load Member

    May 5, 2008
    Motorcycles you do, but lawnmowers not sure you would think with there being so many in there trailers that would make it haz mat but there above the law anyways I am sure they would get a slap on the wrist...lol
    I would love to know the answer to that question!!:biggrin_25511:
  4. witchwaywest

    witchwaywest Medium Load Member

    Dec 8, 2007
    Monroe New York
    If you are a not for hire carrier and the fuel tanks(motorcycle tanks) were manufactured to DOT spec's and they hold only a small specified amount of class 3 then you need not worry about shipping papers or placards.Even if you were a for hire carrier you don't placard until 1,001 lbs of more for class 3 but then you would still need proper shipping papers.As far as the landscapers with the gasoline tanks for their equipment they fall under the same rule but their tanks also have to meet DOT spec's.They can't transport fuel in an old milk jug and be legal.Now if your business decides to transport the bikes via common carrier then they would need to have a bill of lading in proper format that states the class 3 hazard.The rule on your question can be found.Search for the Office of Hazardous Materials Safety.Once there ,hit on FAQ's.Scroll down to exceptions.When there hit on the pdf file,hm 200.Print it out and carry it with you in case you run into a DOT enforcement officer who is not familiar with this rule.The exception you fall under is called MOTS(Materials of Trade).
  5. im6under

    im6under Heavy Load Member

    Feb 13, 2007
    sometimes, a guy is so authoritative in his answer ya just wanna applaud....

  6. h07w33ls

    h07w33ls Light Load Member

    Feb 14, 2007
    the sticker patch,Az
    what if every carhauler out there should legally have haz-mat endorsement & have a placard on their load.wouldnt that create a stir for the industry? :biggrin_25520:
  7. RickG

    RickG Road Train Member

    Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    h07w33ls Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  • Draft saved Draft deleted