hazmat/ tanker endorsment ???

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by dirtyjerz, Mar 20, 2012.

1. dirtyjerz

dirtyjerz glowing beard pouty kid

Jun 7, 2011
    Playing in Traffic
    I got a question about the hazmat and tanker endorsments. I have a N for tanker and a H for hazmat. Some have told me i need a X (hazmat and tanker) if i wanted to haul a hazmat loaded tanker. Others told me that the N and H cover it. Can anyone tell me the correct one. Now im a flatbedder but always keep my eyes and ears out for other jobs in the industry.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pathfinder1361

pathfinder1361 Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2011
    miami, fl
    my florida cdl license has T X. T=double/triple trailers, X=placarded
    hazmat & tank vehicle.

i am not sure if all states use the X as combination of hazmat & tank.

4. LandShark

LandShark Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Riverdale, Ga
    Yes all states use the T X endorsements
    The OP is endorsed for hazmat and tankers but IS not endorsed for double\triple trailers thus the N and H endorsement

pathfinder1361 Thanks this.
  5. Jynxx

Jynxx Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    That's correct. The driver needs to get a double triple endorsement as well. It isn't a must if he won't be driving doubles or triples but most tanker companies I've seen want to see the double triples as well.

6. dirtyjerz

Jun 7, 2011
    Playing in Traffic
    I do have doubles and triples, just didnt think to add it on my original post. Endorsment area on my licsonce says HNT Im just trying to figure out if i could haul a gas truck if i wanted too. The h and n are probally seperate just cause jersey wants the extra $2 when i renew my liscense instead of the just giving me the x

7. pathfinder1361

Aug 19, 2011
    miami, fl
    i believe you should be good to go. i had a new jersey cdl up until 2006.
    as i recall, that is what my license had at that time HNT. i have always had doubles/triples, hazmat & tank. when i came down here and changed to FL cdl, the same endorsements became T X. also, hazmat endorsement is good for 4 years here. (4 year cdl, 4 year endorsements)

i am not aware of any other endorsements you would need in order to be able to haul a hazmat tanker. (gas, chemicals, waste, whatever)

dirtyjerz Thanks this.
  8. dirtyjerz

Jun 7, 2011
    Playing in Traffic
    Thanx pathfinder. But why did ya move to fl, there are as many new yorkers there as there are here.:biggrin_2559:

pathfinder1361 Thanks this.
  9. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    The X represents a combination of the N and H endorsements. In the past when you acquired an N and a H at the same time they gave you the X rather than a seperate N and H. In most states for instance before the hazmat change where the N cost $5.00 and the H cost $5.00 ($10.00 total) if acquired seperately, you would only pay $5.00 for the combined X thereby saving $5.00. Now days with the Hazmat background check which usually takes a few weeks someone getting a new license or renewing or just adding endorsements and wanting an N and an H will immediately get the N but the H is delayed so no X. When the license renews he can get the X. Different states can be funny though.

Bottom line though is that you are ok, you can pull tanks with hazmat, and you can pull any other type trailer with haz mat.

Best regards

pathfinder1361 and dirtyjerz Thank this.
  10. dirtyjerz

Jun 7, 2011
    Playing in Traffic
    The funny part is i did get the h and n at the same time on my license, when i passed my road test. For my permit i took and passed all six test (gen know. air brakes, combos, doubles/triples, tankers and hazmat) all in the same sitting. Thanks dibstr, its good to know i can pull a hazmat tanker if i wanted too. I did call a local fuel hauler today but they want 3yrs exp., so im out for that for another year and a half.

11. pathfinder1361

Aug 19, 2011
    miami, fl
    what part of jersey you from? i am from salem co./glouc. co....

i worked for a fuel hauler down here that in past has hired just about anybody! ex-con, poor english no problem!

i hear in the oilfields out in texas, they have been hiring some on-the-spot! if an outfit is desperate, they dispense with all their supposed
    "requirements"

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.