Headed to Orientation in Georgia on the 8th

Discussion in 'Central Refrigerated' started by Smiles814, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Smiles814

Smiles814 Bobtail Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Hello. I am headed to orientation in Conley, Georgia on July 8th. I got my CDL over a year ago and decided to go local right away. Did some work for a beer distribution company and also a moving company during this time. Was not making that much money so decided to find a OTR company and give it a shot. At first I did not really like the thought of not coming home daily but figured I am young and not married so why not. Spoke with my recruiter and she seemed very nice. Told me the pay scale during training (OTR) and told me I should make about 700 a week after that. I understand that figure will sometimes be higher and sometimes lower. Got to keep a positive attitude about it. So I figured I would come in here ask some questions and say hello to current drivers and other recruits heading to Conley on the 8th as well.

If you have time any advice or knowledge can help.

1. How many miles am I going to run on a weekly average? High side and low side.
    2. What type of trucks will I be using? Pictures? Would love to see them and check out the cab as well.
    3. How many hours a week will I be running during training and afterwards? Keep it real please. I have heard some trainers in general force their trainee to run illegally or they wont sign off on their training trying to boost there own revenue.
    4. What should I truly bring during my OTR training time? What should I not bring? I do not want to burden my trainer.
    5. What questions should I be asking?

I try to be a humble person. Show respect to everyone and work as hard and legally as possible.

Thank You.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MikeyB.

MikeyB. Medium Load Member

Nov 21, 2011
    MA
    Will be there with ya there as well!!!!!!!!! just got paperwork and bus ticket!

4. Treputt

Treputt Medium Load Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    1 - Once your DM feels comfortable you know what you're doing and can handle things ok solo, you can expect between 2000-3000 miles a week. You may have a few weeks below 2000 when you first start out, but it will improve as you go along.

2 - The majority of Central's fleet are Cascadias and ProStars (for solo company drivers, L/O's drive quite a few Petes). A few Volvos mixed in there as well (I'm in a '13 Volvo). And just about all of the fleet is 3 years old or newer. (I have no pics to show you, sorry!)

3 - You'll need 200 hours of driving time (in 28 days minimum) to complete your time with a trainer. So expect 50 hours of driving a week to stay on schedule. As far as trainers trying to get you to run illegal....(very) hard to do with elogs. And beyond that, you will have Central personnel checking up on you weekly. If you have any complaints or issues, you will have people to speak with if there is a problem.

4 - For training, try and limit yourself to a duffel bag and perhaps a backpack/small bag. Your trainer will thank you. When I was with my trainer, I had clothes for 2 weeks & sleeping bag and pillow crammed into a duffel bag. My laptop and personal items were in my backpack. I see some people headed to their trainer's truck with several suitcases, bags, 6 pillows, huge bags of food, and their teddy bear. Don't be that guy. Wait till you're on your trainer's truck to see how much room you have.

5 - There are no stupid questions...so ask anything and everything you can think of and think you may need to know. Your 4 weeks with your trainer will fly by, and then you'll be expected to know pretty much everything. So if you've got questions, don't be afraid to ask them. That's what your trainer is there for.

Hope that helped. :biggrin_25519:

5. Grayson 06

Grayson 06 Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2013
    Carson, VA.
    Are all Central Refrigerated trucks 10 speeds or is there a mix of differert ones also do the trucks have apus. Thanks

6. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

Company trucks do not come with APUs... If you get a turned in lease truck it might have one. Most of the trucks have 13 speeds...

7. tangerineGT

tangerineGT Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Red Lion , PA
    We were told today about the leasing thing , and that by NO means should any of us be thinking about it now .
    I always heard that these places push there leases .

8. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

You'll get the coolaid... And for some it works, for most it doesn't... However they won't put you in one right off the trainers truck, they won't force you to lease. Not like some companies I've heard about.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.