Health and Fittness on the road

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by anderst127, Feb 11, 2018.

1. anderst127

anderst127 Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2018
    I am beginning the lifestyle of OTR trucking in a couple of months, and my largest concern is finding time to exercise to stay healthy. Does anyone have experience or a routine that they stick to when it comes to staying fit? Compact equipment they keep in their truck, etc?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I do brisk walking at truckstops in the parking lot or brisk walk to a mall, etc.
    Carry a folding bicycle. This will fit inside the sleeper and if you have a double bunk bed, can store it on the top bunk.

4. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    It’s hard to do. I had some dumb bells and stopped using them. I’m pathetic. :)

5. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    Depends on if I'm on a strength training or cardio cycle. Either can be achieved with creativity and determination. A mountain bike strapped to your catwalk, some plates and dumbbell handles, boxing reflex bag or some good old fashioned running, jogging, sprints/intervals right there in the parking lot, driver.

For real food, hit up Walmarts and buy a cheap propane powered grill and keep it in a side box. If you REALLY want it to happen you'll make it so. Don't let the Debbie Downers keep you from staying healthy. Excuses are easy, sticking to a routine isn't and it builds character.

AModelCat and cybill234 Thank this.
  6. joesmoothdog

joesmoothdog Heavy Load Member

Aug 5, 2013
    OTR

Stay in shape!!!!

Not trying to be a Richard but staying in shape is next to impossible. Best you can do is bits of exercise and a spartan diet. Good luck. I gained 50 lbs and hit the ceiling. If I burn 2k calories a day out here I'm lucky.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  7. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    ^Point made. Excuses. If someone cannot run in a parking lot while eating sensible than you're already dead.

AModelCat and Dan.S Thank this.
  8. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    It's not that difficult to do. A set of dumbbells in the truck. 50lbers. Walk with them in your hand. Heavy cardio. Do your shoulder work and lunges with dumbbells. Ask a flatbedder if you can do pullups on the rubrail of his trailer.

Watch what you eat. No sodas. Steak and eggs and slice tomatoes with mustard for breakfast and go easy on the carbs for dinner. If you eat off the buffet, limit yourself to 1 plate.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  9. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Puinny human!

WesternPlains and IluvCATS Thank this.
  10. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Can’t say I have any routine yet.
    Can say it’s so important to do something at least a little. That first step from doing nothing is extremely important.
    I put a thread up in health...the right way. Took me a lifetime to learn how important minerals are.

11. GenericUserName

GenericUserName Road Train Member

May 17, 2014
    Santa Monica, CA
    You are about to start one of the most unhealthy job/lifestyle that there is. Office jobs are unhealthy because they mostly sit at their desk for about 40 hours a week. You will be sitting inside that truck for very long periods of time being OTR. You're going to have to accept that you will be making sacrifices healthwise.

That said it shouldn't be difficult to figure out how to minimize the damage. You will see some guys in those truck stops who will be MAJOR motivators for you to get creative about this. All I'll say.

DSK333 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.