Health Insurance...?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by tman78, Oct 17, 2017.

1. tman78

tman78 Medium Load Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Hi Friends,

Was curious as to what kinda insurance are the OTR companies offering Drivers these days?
    1. -Is it a group plan (if so, which company)?
    2. -Obama Care?
    3. -Pay for your own?
    4. -Are you getting Dental Coverage?
    5. -What kinda premiums you paying?
    Insurance has become a Hugh expense for average working class Americans. Just wondering how the trucking industry is "treating their drivers?"

~T

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Mid size 250 truck operation here. BCBS Group plan. $109 every 2 weeks for single. Paid by employer after 2 years (employee portion)

I'm not sure what the deductible is. It's not a "great plan" by any stretch of the imagination but I think really good plans are pretty much out of reach for most.

4. tman78

tman78 Medium Load Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Thanks Texan,

Are you saying that after 2 yrs, all coverage is paid by company?

5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Yes, but only up to the employee portion of the single/employee premium amount

And a dental and vision plan is also offered which is on par with typical such plans.

6. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    A Good plan is Showing a Card Anytime/anywhere in any clinic or hospital as many times as needed without any co-pays or deductables..........

Yes,They Exist, Ask Beverly, who works for the City behind bullet proof glass Eating Cheetos and Drinking Grape Nehi soda., Kid gets a cough....To the E.R. we go, Show the card,Get the care needed, Never a Bill in the mail.

7. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I've seen everything across the board.... from you're on your own....to excellent insurance.
    Yup... Obamacare was nothing but another liberal scam...stole money from us.

If you want the best healthcare... On Health... the right way....
    I'm serious.... Otherwise, anymore I just look for disaster health insurance. Only if I get injured badly and have to be patched back up at a hospital.

tman78 Thanks this.
  8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    many companies shop yearly for new plans. what is a good plan for you today, may very well be gone by next year.

the best plan is one you pay for out of pocket, yearly, but then too, you should shop around as well.

9. gr8game

gr8game Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2017
    There are Private Insurance options as well that have better risk pools which allow the premiums to not get out of control

10. free spirited1

free spirited1 Heavy Load Member

Mar 18, 2012
    USA
    I believe the best health insurance comes through a Federal, State, City, or Union job. I've talked to at least two in each category, they all stated the insurance was good, all are full time employees. If they had Federal OTR driver jobs I'd be in line fast...lol... We run Canada to and recently I had to do a 34/36 hr break there...got talking with a Canadian driver and we discussed health insurance in great detail as I had and he had time to burn, he told me he couldn't believe our deductibles were so high and I said yeah that's how it is here in USA truckin industry, his insurance was like we were many years ago, pays very little Co-pay and nearly the entire bill is paid thru Canada health care insurance system. Stuff is a little pricier in the stores than here, but it beats USA health insurance hands down. Sorry the USA isn't what it use to be, it's all about the stock holders, NOT the working people, especially in this industry.

11. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    My plan is costly out of each check but offers good coverage across the board including dental and vision. I’m not complaining. My teeth need a lot of work.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.