How do we change things, not just "fix" them industry wide?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by mikamikael, Jul 31, 2022.

1. mikamikael

mikamikael Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Cambridge, Ontario
    Long-time member, reader, observer...
    Worked dispatch, warehouse, shunt, heavy quip...
    From Challenger/BLM docks to warehousing in Brampton, Hamilton...I have been at it since 2009.
    I have observed, read, and had ridiculous amounts of conversations about the "changes" in the industry, the frustrations, the bad, the ugly, and the uglier.
    Seems like the 90s and early 2000s were the sweet spots for dry, reefer, LTL.
    Common issues seem to be electronics in trucks, DFL, bad quality rigs from all the manufacturers, low pay, hostile everything from people that are not drivers, racism, HOS, lack of truck stops...
    The main/biggest one the last 8 years running though...best summed up by a guy I met in Woodstock..." they've made trucking the new farming and in farming only a select few make money and now the citizens who've lived here forever are no longer involved unless they own the place (most don't own anything because corporations do), so what do you think will happen with trucking with all the new supposed to be temporary foreign works coming here, some bypassing laws and totally destroying the industry with back home antics, bad cultural habits and lack of integration? When the citizens here no longer understand or want anything to do with the industry what do you think it will look like say 10 years from now, better?" The guy went on to say that the world is too politically correct and we are too passive here in Canada to do anything to correct course.
    I admired this industry since I was a kid. Grandfather, Father, Uncles, all drivers O/O and made a great living until the financial crisis...now I've watched people who used to make a decent living struggle.
    So the question is how do we Canadians fix it? Seriously?
    Not looking to start an immigration dump on fest (note - I immigrated here when I was 8 but I can tell you with absolute certainty it was not under the paltry low qualification requirements of today) and I'm not looking to just complain in a forum and move on...seriously want to get some bearings and go after it!
    Looking for insight, opinions, vision, and serious statements on what should be considered to change things. Someone will inevitably bring up the freedom convoy, I will say this, they had the right idea (protest, shut things down) but they did not involve the community and had this aura of arrogance. That was a sure-fire way to make money from the fringe and piss off those who you needed to support your cause.
    No idea if this is violating anything, NOT my intention, just wanted a healthy discussion on What needs to be done to fix the industry? Ban or limit temporary foreign workers? cut funding to companies that hire more temporary foreign workers than citizens? Rig-only lanes? No driver-facing cameras? Hybrid trucks? Nationalize diesel so the price is the same across the country? Ban freight brokers with a certain amount of verified complaints? Stop lease-to-own programs? Is one part to require fewer lawyers who have never been involved in transportation, let alone trucking, and shipping to hold transportation decision-making government jobs? A labor union for drivers? A national strike for a few days?
    Thanks for your insights in advance. Really hoping there is engagement around a vision of what could actually change things.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden Light Load Member

Apr 1, 2021
    Nothing can be done. Been driving for almost 28 years. It's only gotten worse. Find a good hourly job.

4. mikamikael

mikamikael Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Cambridge, Ontario
    You don't think it will be a matter of time before those good hourly jobs see the same issues as trucking?
    What do you see as the biggest factor affecting the state of trucking right now?
    Appreciate your reply.

5. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    What can be done? You figure out how to make it work for you given what's laid out. Don't worry about what's wrong with the industry, nor get too emotionally invested. You'll start to hate everything if you do that.

6. UnkownHorse

UnkownHorse Light Load Member

Mar 10, 2019
    MO
    Buddy, you just hit the nail on the head with that “don’t get too emotionally invested”. This statement can apply to any and just about every job out there. I know I’ve had ones that I had gotten way too emotionally invested in and in the end it end up costing me a lot of peace of mind and grief, to some extent. Nothing is worth that. Because at the end of the day. Most jobs are just a paycheck.

7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Literally 30 seconds of searching. Starting pay hardly covers rent and food.

Also note: "English not required"
    What a crock. If you can't understand English, you have absolutely NO business being on a public roadway in a motor vehicle of ANY size and shape. You are a hazard.

Screenshot_20220731-103157_Samsung Internet.jpg

8. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    That's right. We've all lost em. We've all quit em. We all found new jobs. The paycheck, like you said is what matters.

9. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I got lost after the first sentence o_O

10. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Most of the hourly drivers I have worked with are cry babies, and lazy pos...Just my experience. If you try to do your job and keep to your self they will still try to get you fired. This was true at Bern' (Pepsi) and Kemira ...... 30+ dollars per hour and they still cry non-stop. You can have it. I like drivin g where I'm at, nobody but me and my dispatcher knows where I am, or what I'm hauling or where its going. perfect.

11. Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden Light Load Member

Apr 1, 2021
    I only plan on working a few more years anyway. Then it will be someone else's problem. I still have to put up with B.S. but making 2k a week makes it a lot easier to deal with.

The biggest factor affecting trucking now is the low pay. The job is what it is but drivers should be fairly compensated.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.