Heart attack, drivers license, BC

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Canucklehead, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Canucklehead

Canucklehead Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    Hi,

I had a heart attack a couple of months ago. Felt fine 15 minutes after I got to the hospital. Even the cardiologist, after a CAT scan, said he guessed it was a very small heart attack. Anyhow, after cooling my heels in the hospital for 5 days, and seeing no doctor at all since the 1st day, a bimbo walks into my room saying i can get ready to leave. Says I can drive a truck for 3 months. No explanation no nothing. I found out later she was a doctor. I assume a one size fits all mentality, and whammo, let's give him 3 months automatically without even thinking. I have since found out that my enzyme levels were high like a marker for a heart attack, but it turns out I was hyperthyroid to the max, and that also produces the identical enzymes on the same amounts. So, I have a good reason to ##### like hell.

But, I have received no letter from ICBC saying that my license will be cancelled, or that it is in fact already cancelled. Of course I still have it. I have checked my N abstract from time to time and the status is "normal". So I can drive a car, although who knows, cuz if they did cancel my class 1, then i wouldn't even have a class 5 to show a cop. I can plead ignorance and get away with it, cuz no letter of notification. Hey, I'm a dumb trucker eh.

I'm not going to call the ######## and ask them if my license is ok. They'd probably say oh gee, let's cancel it now and screw him over for 3 more months.

I'll just get back to hauling when my real 3 months are up, and see what happens.

But, has anybody else had a heart attack and they're from BC? What is the normal way of things?

One more beef. I call the ambulance. Tell them I'm having a heart attack. Takes them 14 minutes to get their lazy ##### to my place. I could have walked to the hospital faster.

magoo68 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PTSCummins

PTSCummins Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2018
    We had a family friend who holds his Class 1 have a heart attack about 2.5 years ago. The hospital doc informed him that his Class 1 would be suspended till a year after the family doc gave him a clean bill of health. It took him a little over a year to get cleared, and he just went back to driving truck/bus a few months ago. During that time they cancelled his Class 1 with a promissary note to reinstate it upon receipt of a clear medical abstract from the family doc.

I believe if your Class 1 is cancelled it also cancels your Class 5 (Only if you allow it to cancel for whatever reason without consulting ICBC prior to). When you surrender your class 1 voluntarily they automatically reinstate your Class 5.

I would strongly suggest going down to your nearest Driver Licensing Center and POLITELY speaking to a manager for correct details before proceeding. Half the time they don't know their own rules but if they know you're willing to work with them that's half the battle.

Canucklehead Thanks this.
  4. Velos

Velos Bobtail Member

Aug 5, 2019
    I had a heart attack (clogged arteries in my heart) end up with a stem. The cardiologist suspended me for 90 days he told me just to make sure you don’t get another one while you drive. First 90 day are critical. 8 months after, feeling good. Now I have to do stress test every 2 years for my physical. Now you have to answer yes on the form questionnaire have you had heart attack. I would answer no but if something happens down the road I will be in trouble.

5. PTSCummins

PTSCummins Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2018
    I think it very much depends on the driver's condition. The friend I mentioned had a heart disease which caused the attack.

6. Snoopycda

Snoopycda Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Edmonton Ab.
    I had a major heart attack in May 2017. In Alberta your license is suspended for thirty days and you cannot drive commercial for 90 days. Ultrasound and stress tests were conducted in that time frame. 90 days were up and back in business. Total recovery took much longer as short term memory and some cognitive functions were definitely affected for at least a year after.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    one of my grandparents had a series of heart attacks Trauma (Bit above ER but really intense.) He had 11 in a few month.

Finally on the 12th he dropped again, even the blind knows it's a heart attack. This time the ambulance crew with the life support bus got to him. After 15 minutes (they took this time much longer to get there.) He was dead when they got to him.

8. Canucklehead

Feb 25, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    I want to thank everybody who took the time to reply. Unfortunately, the system didn't notify me that anybody did.

I hear you all.

My doctor has already told me he's willing to step up to the plate and back me up with any hassles. He's new by the way. I had no doctor prior to the medical issue.

I checked my N abstract again this morning. And again, status is normal. And no records yada yada yada.

I must be an alien, because I have felt fine since 5 minutes after arriving in the hospital. In some ways, better than before. But that could be a feature of taking over 8 drugs per day. Funny thing, none make me drowsy or slow me down. I have a feeling the thyroid med is helping things too.

Yes I have heard horror stories about getting F ed by the system. I was expecting it myself. I haven't received any communication, written or otherwise. The only person who mentioned it was the halfwit who I thought was a social worker (she didn't identify herself) just before I finally got out of that damnable place, telling me I can't drive 30 and 90 days from then. She was reading from a sheet. On further investigation, that person turned out to be the doctor who wrote that. I no longer trust the medical system of the Fraser Regional Health at all. Nobody seems to know what each other is doing, multiple versions of everything, etc. I originally thought that the doctor I had seen once had ducked the exit interview cuz he was a coward. Anyways, I had never heard of this Road Safety BC crap before. Yeah, been having to do the stupid and costly medical exams for the last decade or so, But I guess I never bothered to look at the paperwork and assumed it was still ICBC crap.

The only way to speak to them is by leaving a message with your license number. Yeah, I'll get right on that lol.

Something obviously went wrong in communist government land. Either the doctor forgot to send a signed sheet to Road Safety, or some minion at Road Safety lost the sheet. Bank error in my favor. It will probably come down to legalities. A grey ara for doctors. regulations state that if a doctor feels that someone is a danger to themselves or others because of a medical reason, they can tell that person not to drive, as well, that can also tell the authorities for action on it. When your license is taken away, normally they send you a letter giving you about 30 seconds to get your appeal back to them. Or if something appeals don't apply for, then a legal notification of your license being taken away and for what reason(s). I have received no letter at all. If I get pulled over by a cop and he busts me for driving without a license, I have "ignorance" on my side. I wasn't told. Being told by a doctor I can't drive for 30/90 is not a legal standard in court. It isn't binding. And again, the status of my license is normal. No prohibitions etc.

So, what to do, what to do......

Let sleeping government minions lie....

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    tinytim Thanks this.
  9. Canucklehead

Feb 25, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    And yes, I myself have had a few people close to me die of heart attacks, friends and relatives. The last one being a very good friend for over 40 years, a trucker, was getting out of his truck, dead before he hit the ground. Drove for Vedder.

10. Snoopycda

Snoopycda Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Edmonton Ab.
    Not to be the bearer of bad news but, it is up to you to inform the authorities of any medical condition that may make you unfit and a liability to others.
    I didn't get any notice either from official sources on a license suspension. If I was involved in an accident however it would come out and coverage would probably be denied. I do have a letter code (C) that shows on my abstract only, requiring a mandatory medical every two years. I am over 45 and a class 1 holder so that is required anyway.

tinytim and Canucklehead Thank this.
  11. Canucklehead

Feb 25, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    I don't have any C on my abstract. I started having to get medical exams every 3rd year once I turned 50. A one size fits all government idea.

A citizen doesn't have to rat himself out to the authorities. And if for some reason the government has cancelled or prohibited my license, then it's up to them to notify me me. Failing that, then if an accident happens and they refuse insurance, you have one helluva lawsuit against them. I'd welcome that, considering how much insurance I've paid for over the decades, for absolutely no reason so far. I'd be happy to get some back finally.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.