Heartland Express Buys May Trucking

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by BackIsSore, Dec 11, 2017.

1. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    May is financially solid, they have a new terminal opening in Omaha. They have centralized some of their dispatch operations.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    I heard that Payette and Layton became drop yards. May could be financially solid, but I feel they could show it better if they are. Every terminal should somewhat resemble the Brooks facility, in the sense that everything should be maintained, properly functioning, and even expanding. Maybe it's cheaper to buy CAT scales than to fix the scale at Layton. Maybe it's cheaper to fuel at the Pilot in Ontario than to keep the fuel island in Payette working. There's no good reason that I can see for the shop in Denver to be two 53' dry vans linked together without air conditioning. Gary looks like it's someone's residence that you park in their back yard, it's even in a residential neighborhood. Omaha has been in the works for quite a while now, I thought it was supposed to be finished last year.

I understand the whole "A penny saved is a penny earned" mentality. But to me it doesn't look like the actions of a company that is thriving, and if it is, where is the money going?

Mtn Gal and Frank Speak Thank this.
  4. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    I agree wholeheartedly with what you said. Like I’ve said many times, I always got along fine over there and I made decent money.

That said, the two things I always disliked was:

1. Their failure to offer direct deposit.

2. I always thought it was pathetic that their terminals looked worse than the local soup kitchen.

I hated the terminals so much I simply avoided them at all cost. I’d roll in, get fuel or grab a trailer, etc... and then I got the heck out of there, even it was just to roll up the street to the Pilot in Ontario or the Flying J in Ogden.

loudtom Thanks this.
  5. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Yeah, paying through EFS was weird. I also didn't agree with the way they reimbursed CAT scales and other expenses. Instead of giving you the entire amount back, they included it as payroll so you ended up being taxed on it as income.

The pay was decent for a starter company, but it capped out at like .45 after 10 years or something. It's almost as if it's designed to keep new drivers coming in at lower wages and to discourage making it a career there.

I never really had any issues with anybody. It was easy to get along with the staff. The DM I worked with was fantastic. I might have stayed there longer if I could work for like 30 weeks straight, then take a month off, but they said I could only take 4 days max. Either way, I'm sure a better paying job would have appealed to me eventually.

6. Frank Speak

May 3, 2016
    I don’t know when you were there, but the CAT scales were a non-taxed reimbursement when I was there, along with any other POs.

7. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    You are right, the folks there for the most part are nice but it just does not seem they care to retain their experienced drivers. It's all about bringing on new folks, giving them bonuses ( keeping labor costs down) and forgetting about the ones that have been there a few years...to the few that stay. No extras for safety, winter driving etc.nada. Yes the terminals definitely leave something to be desired.

loudtom Thanks this.
  8. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    LOL. We had a running joke that the driver "showers" in Brooks, OR terminal (don't know if they remodeled or not) were so small, all you needed to do was soap the sidewalls, get in and spin around.

9. Frank Speak

May 3, 2016
    I never used them. I’d always just walk across the street to the Pilot. Lol

10. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Well, when I first started driving back in 2009, things were a little tight financially for me, so I used the showers there a cpl times.

Frank Speak Thanks this.
  11. Frank Speak

May 3, 2016
    When I was there, they used Pilot almost exclusively for fuel. This, I always had showers on my Pilot card.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.