Heartland Express Does It Again, Raising Pay to a Whole New

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by Slowpoke1775, Feb 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slowpoke1775

Slowpoke1775 Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Port Huron, MI
    Heartland Express Does It Again, Raising Pay to a Whole New Level

CORALVILLE, IA. - Heartland Express, Inc. of Iowa the perennial leader for driver pay in the truckload industry announced today that they are doing it again! Heartland has announced that they are raising pay an additional 4 cents. This raise will take their over-the-road company drivers to an unprecedented $.50 per mile in all the areas they run and owner operators to $.95 per mile BEFORE any additional pay for fuel stabilization! Heartland's GREEN MILE$ program (an additional bonus for drivers who run in the NE area of the country known as the GREEN ZONE) will continue to pay a 4 cents premium per mile for a top pay of $.54 per mile!
    Russell Gerdin, President and CEO of Heartland stated, "it is my goal, above all else, to raise the driver pay rate to a level equal to the effort the job requires. Drivers simply need to earn more. If I do nothing else for the industry, I will do whatever it takes to move driver pay higher. I think offering fifty cents per mile is a step in this direction."

Included in this pay raise Heartland stated that they will be offering compensation for those drivers who hold a hazardous materials endorsement (HAZMAT) on their commercial driver's licenses. Virtually all of the current drivers in the Heartland fleet hold this endorsement and for this will receive a penny per mile increase in pay. Drivers who join Heartland Express without holding the HAZMAT endorsement will receive this penny per mile increase, once they acquire the endorsement if they choose to do so.

John Cosaert, Executive Vice President and CFO commented, "with the new laws governing HAZMAT endorsements, Heartland is taking a leadership position in compensating those drivers who hold it. While HAZMAT loads are a very very small portion of the freight we haul, we do believe the drivers who can manage these loads deserve to be recognized with additional pay."

According to a recent industry survey the average driver pay for three years experience (according to those companies who completed the survey) is just under $.35 per mile. With this pay raise, drivers with the same experience at Heartland will earn 35% more per mile than that average.

Heartland Express is an irregular route truckload carrier based in Coralville, Iowa serving customers with primary shipping lane east of the Rocky Mountains and the southwest United States. They offer long-haul, regional, and dedicated opportunities.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Forum Retiree

Feb 8, 2004
    this money is good, but the ad in my local paper as well as your posting here does not mention an average weekly mileage a driver can run.

its great at 54¢ per mile for the northeast area, but what good is it if a driver only runs 2,000 miles or less........??

then again, there is no mention of perhaps the driver doing more "lumping" since he/she is paid more ¢'s per mile, the company will/would expect the driver to be more workable.

at those wages (although very good) how long can that company stay in business...? i have seen many companies in my area go under due to higher wages, but less freight to haul during certain times of the year as you know, freight slows down a bit.

anyhow, this remains to be seen if heartland stays in business for the next 3 years or so................

4. PortlandDriver

PortlandDriver RIP, May You Be Heaventown Bound!

May 30, 2005
    Pacific Northwest
    Or it could do what JB Hunt did, revert back to it's old pay scale...

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Forum Retiree

Feb 8, 2004

many, many years ago, i applied to JB Hunt. i forgot all the pay scales they had "back then", but let's just say *for instance*, that with 10 years experience you got 30¢ per mie. i thought cool, i'll be getting 34¢ per mile at my 10 years experience.

the recruiter said.....uh....well, not exactly. to wit i responded, that's what your ad claims.

he said, yeah, but its when you're WITH US for 10 years, you get 30¢ per mile, we'll start YOU of at 24¢ per mile, then you work your way up.

well, i know they found plenty of drivers that fell for that one. i wasn't about to take a pay cut simply to run more miles and be away from home longer.

good ol' recruiting tactics...........

6. PortlandDriver

May 30, 2005
    Pacific Northwest
    It's also called smoke and mirrors or bait and switch.
    That is in part if not most of the reason JB Hunt has a bad rep is beacause of the lousy relationship with the drivers...

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Forum Retiree

Feb 8, 2004

when i did driving instructing at the local driving school, i would tell my students to listen to all the details each company has to offer. i could not discourage anyone from choosing, MS Carriers (now Swift), or Swift, or JB, or Schnieder, or NAVL (north american van lines), or US Express, or any other recruiting company. in fact, if i did discourage a student, they could "turn me in" to management. i had to support the individual students descision as where to go. i would be asked which company "semed the best", i basically had to say that they were all good.

it's not till after they graduate, get their license, go to work, then come back for a visit, and complain, that i could then say, something.

sad fact, everyone has to start someplace, put in 6 months someplace, then leave, is about all i can say to them when they wanted good advice when crying about life on the roads..........

8. Slowpoke1775

Jan 28, 2006
    Port Huron, MI
    lol...you guys crack me up! You need to do a bit of research, or ask a driver about the company!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Forum Retiree

Feb 8, 2004
    stay tuned for more news at 11:00, and by the way, we are professionals, don't try this at home.

10. Slowpoke1775

Jan 28, 2006
    Port Huron, MI
    Driver Pay and Benefits
    With expectations come rewards. We expect to hire the experienced drivers who can flat-out perform, so we recognize that our compensation must be superior. And it is.

Pay
    Heartland offers industry leading pay rates and we believe in paying for that experience – meaning if you have more experience you will make more from your first day with Heartland. Check out these pay rates:

System Drivers (OTR)
    (with safety bonus & hazmat)
    12/31/05 4/1/06 7/1/06 9/30/06
    1 year experience $.44 $.45 $.46 $.47
    2 years experience $.445 $.455 $.465 $.475
    3 years experience $.45 $.46 $.47 $.48
    4 years experience $.455 $.465 $.475 $.485
    5 years experience $.46 $.47 $.48 $.49
    6 years experience $.465 $.475 $.485 $.495
    7 years experience $.47 $.48 $.49 $.50

Regional Driver
    (with safety bonus & hazmat)
    12/31/05
    1 year experience $.42
    2 years experience $.425
    3 years experience $.43
    4 years experience $.435
    5 years experience $.44
    6 years experience $.445
    7 years experience $.45

Benefits
    Balance is important in life. You must protect yourself from risks and build prosperity for the future. We offer a superior health, dental, disability, and life plan. We also offer a matching 401k retirement savings program, paid vacation, and more. It's more than great pay and benefits... it's a commitment to your future.

Heartland Express takes great pride in its modern, state of the art fleet of tractors and trailers. Satellite monitoring allows our operation and our customers critical information exchange capabilities while shipments are in route.

Introducing the International 9400i tractor. This model offers significantly more interior room, has aluminum alloy front wheels, engine brake, 300 gallon fuel capacity, and front fender mirror. Heartland will be replacing their entire tractor fleet with the International model. This is projected to be completed by the end of 2006.

Heartland’s trailers are Wabash Duraplate Superwide Vans, offering more cargo capacity for our customers.

This is one example of Heartland's commitment to keeping our equipment new, avoiding breakdowns and service interruptions to our customers, and virtually eliminating downtime for our “driving force.”

“The Driver is Key”

Russell Gerdin , Founder, President, and CEO of Heartland Express states, “I believe in our drivers and believe drivers have the hardest job in the industry. I have spent a lifetime defending and lobbying for the driver. I will continue to do so. I will stand before this industry and take a leadership role declaring that we as an industry have to do more for our drivers.”

At Heartland, truer words have never been spoken.

This section of the site is for those people who have dedicated themselves to Heartland Express – our drivers and owner operators. If you are a current driver with Heartland we hope you find some things here that interest you. If you are interested in joining Heartland, please feel free to look through these pages to get the real picture of life as a Heartland driver or operator.

To our Drivers – our hat is off to you, we thank you for everything you do!

More reading for ya!

11. PortlandDriver

May 30, 2005
    Pacific Northwest
    OK, you spoke the truth accordiding to heartland...What are their west coast operations?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.