Heartland Express, Inc. - Coralville, Ia.?

Discussion in 'Heartland' started by thekidsixer, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Gitty

Gitty Medium Load Member

Jul 16, 2009
    in my truck
    Wheat Light The best people you get to deal with out of kingsport are Mike and Jim on nights. They are fantastic people. And just as funny as can be!!! Funny thing is The home terminals have some great people at them, even the terminal managers. BUTTTT, they can not fight to hard for their drivers or they will be fired. Even if corporate is wrong and they know it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wheat Light

Wheat Light Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Salem, IL
    Yeah Jim and Mike are a hoot. Problem with Jim is that he talks on the phone too much. If you have a problem when he's there are try to call you might have to call 5 or 6 times before he picks up. If you send a QC message, its liable to be an hour before you hear something from him. Mike is just the opposite, if you call him the problem will get solved asap. I like them both though.

My dispatcher has been at it for a long time. He worked for A&M before Heartland bought them out. He worked for Mason Dixon before that and MD went out of business. I think he's been a dispatcher something like 23 or 24 years now. You are right though gitty, they can't stand up too much or they will lose their jobs. They are put in a bad place between drivers and load planners in IA.

Like I said, I'm always looking for something more local, but they aren't too bad. They have been decent to me for sure.

4. TexasPhoenix

TexasPhoenix Medium Load Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Anyone an O/O with Heartland? Please share any info you can.

5. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    I looked at them awhile back. they don't have a good reputation. Good rates but basically how they get those good rates is they take freight that was not picked up by other trucking companies. SO your loads start out late before you get them. The guys I talked to had some horor stories due to that since the reciever don't really care what the situation is. they want their freight and they want it at the appointment time

6. doctorbob

doctorbob Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    Yeah Wheat Light, there are a couple dispatchers in Kingsport who actually have trucking experience. I wish I could run out of there but living in Atlanta and being system that won't work for me, so I'm stuck with the anal-retentives in N. Liberty.
    Heartland knows they have a problem getting drivers through terminals because we just got a message yesterday saying they will use the computer to report trucks through inspection. They are doing away with the schoolboy little notes to take to dispatch so you can leave. Heartless is alot like the government. They want to control the drivers every thought and deed and don't care how it affects the drivers.
    I came through Chester to pick up a load last week and had no time to screw with the long inspection line and other BS. So I went in and told disp. that if I had to wait in the line the load would be late. He called the GS and said GO! If it's their time on the line you move, if it's only the drivers time, well we all know thats totally worthless.
    Yes, for any drivers wondering, the new prostars are miserable. They ride smoother and handle better. However they're so full of driver-controlling devils courtesy of Heartland that any intelligent competent driver will hate them. I don't rest nearly as well as I did in the old truck especially in the Summer. Thank God the heat is almost over with.

7. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    I think it is funny that people are looking at this as a bad way to downsize.
    I know this is an old thread, but downsizing thru attrition is the best way for them to do it without hurting any employees.
    This is the definition of attrition...

Unpredictable and uncontrollable, but normal,reduction of work force due to resignations,retirement, sickness, or death.

I would much rather have a company I work for downsize by not replacing workers than laying off people. Much nicer way to do business.

8. coondawgs

coondawgs Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Would also like to know. Hope it's not too late but I have orientation set-up for next week and some of the stories I've seen on here now have me wondering.
    Still low miles and a lot of sitting around?
    Still being treated lousy?
    Any chance of making $$$?
    Home time?
    Condition of equipment?
    What's the scoop?
    Thanks

9. coondawgs

coondawgs Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Supposed to go to orientation next week and am now wondering if I've made the right decision after reading some of these posts.
    Still experiencing low miles?
    Sitting around waiting for a load?
    Real short hauls?
    Driver treatment?
    Condition of equipment?
    Can you make $$$?
    What's the real scoop today?
    Thanks

10. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    I have been looking for answers to the same questions, but I figure I will go and see. I need to get back to work. I will be doing orentation next monday in Columbus OH.

11. fencepost777

fencepost777 Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Poolville Texas
    not sure what it is you are wanting to know..can you make a payckeck? it depends on how much do you need. if you communicate with your fleet maager you will not set long for a load.. dont be late on any load ever! pack plenty of blankets, 'cause the new trucks will not idle at temps above 44 degreees. inter city loads are free..yes you heard that right..no pay for intercity deliveries..no matter how long it takes.layover pay is practically non existant. pay on hhmg about 10 percent less than you actually run..shortest route. 1200- 2500 miles depending on what area you are in. not sure on payscale now...i get mixed answers from new drivers. i have been here for 2 years..first year grossed 65k.. this year about 15 k less it looks. its a trucking company that expects you to do what you are being paid to do.. they are not babysitters, and probably dont care about your home life or problems..they are in it for themselves. as am i. i am here because i make enough to pay my bills and take care of my family. its a job. i have yet to see a friend pay my bills.

milemover and Baack Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.