Heartland Express new equipment

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Truthin, Nov 21, 2012.

1. BretStep

BretStep Light Load Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Maxiforce leaves a lot to be desired in terms of reliability. My former company quit buying Internationals because International was not offering any other engine option but their own maxiforce. They took possession of a limited number of trucks equipped with those engines and after six months they refused to sign the deal on any more. They have switched to Kenworths powered by Cummins.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    Thats probably the reason why International is offering the cummins engine again as customers were wanting the cummins engine option. I actually like the prostar except the maxxforce engine. A aquaintenece drives one for BarrNunn. Very spacious and driver friendly if you ask me. Out of curiosity, does Heartland still do teams or do they have them??

4. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Crete's Maxxforce engines have been a disaster. Most unreliable POS on the road.

5. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    Heartland has some teams. They are either hired on as a team, or are friends that decide they want to team. Do not have allot of them though, so most of the fleet is single bunk trucks. All the double bunks are team trucks.

International has discontinued the 15L max force totally, after march they will not make anymore, and all 15L trucks will be cummins powered. The 13 they will offer the maxforce with the cummins SCR. So will use the exhaust fluid.

The Challenger Thanks this.
  6. Truthin

Truthin Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Columbus, OH
    Maxxforce with cummins SCR addon... hmmmm.. I would have my doubts about the reliability of this setup.

7. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    Me too, so does Heartland for that matter. That is why they are buying the 15L Cummins trucks and not Maxforce.
    I have to say that the maxforce will not need as much EGR as it is using now with the SCR. So should not have as many carbon issues as it has had. But the breakdowns I keeps seeing are for injectors, head issues, EGR coolers (which were bad when installed).
    Plus the design was bad, so if you have any issues that need the head to come off, or cooler to come off the truck. They have to take the dashboard off. So it is a multi day job.

8. fancypants

fancypants Medium Load Member

Apr 14, 2010
    nw pa
    That dont sound right.Mating a cummins with a cat.

9. Truthin

Jan 18, 2012
    Columbus, OH
    Heartland is trading out almost all their trailers. I saw last week that by next year over 80 percent of their trailers will be a 2012 or newer, and also upgrading the truck fleet with new trucks - their oldest truck will be a 2012. Dang!

10. Truthin

Jan 18, 2012
    Columbus, OH
    Heartland is trading out for new trucks like crazy. All the ones that are two and three years old are going in for trade. I want to see one of the new Heartland freightliners.

11. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Which FL model are they going to? I remember when I had my cuppa coffee there in 2001, I had a Columbia. I have a Cascadia now at Crete, and I like this truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.