Heartland will ruin your DAC

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by HappyHardCore, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    rubberducky68 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rubberducky68

rubberducky68 Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Jefferson GA
    See, I told you :)
    I will trade slightly less pay for sanity any day.

HappyHardCore Thanks this.
  4. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    How do you become a pet driver?

Perhaps developing dependability and a non complainer gets one to that level. Too many expect overnight success and when they don't get it right off a negative relationship develops and snowballs until one quits or gets fired. I found that out the hard way when I started. You don't have to be a butt kisser but do your job well and be easy to get along with. When I figured that stuff out things got a whole lot better.

You have to have a decent dispatcher. They make bad ones just like bad drivers. If you can't make things work then you ask for another one before the drastic measures of quitting. Some of your complaints sound like a bad driver/dispatcher relationship.

If they trashed your DAC then dispute it. If it's vindictive then HireRight will remove it.
    http://www.hireright.com/Consumers-Applicants.aspx

You don't have to pay some advocate when it's free and easy to do yourself.

Meltom, Rocks, Jagsfan and 1 other person Thank this.
  5. HappyHardCore

HappyHardCore Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Yeah, should probably do if I look to apply with another company, and yeah probably better to do sooner rather than later. Not sure how long it takes, and didn't know about that route until recently.

+1

And yes its slightly less pay, but worth it :)

Probably pet drivers are with the company for many years, live at a good location for home time (or don't take home time at all better yet), kissing ###, and on dedicated drop n hook from Iowa City to Columbus back and forth on a regular routine that generally has no issues of tight or unrealistic appointments. But who knows, maybe I'm just blowing hot air here.

There is a difference between being a complainer, and communicating with dispatch. Yes here on the forums I'm being a complainer :)

And for being dependable, my 10 1/2 year record speaks for itself, no chargeable accidents, no chargeable lates, willing to run all my hours, etc.

I guess sometimes no matter how nice you are, some people are just difficult to get along with. And I do realize that almost all dispatchers are generally under stress from at least some of their drivers being difficult, complaining they are tired, load is too short, want more miles, want extra pay, etc, etc. That isn't me, I've NEVER complained to dispatch about any of that. Also I've had managers at shipping/receiving snap at me before, and I just smiled back at them and was nice. Later they apologized that they were having a bad day. So even when people (dispatch, customers DoT) are nasty to me, I still do my best to get along. Yes, I know, if the driver got fired, he must have done something for that to happen :)

6. flatbedder

flatbedder Medium Load Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Illinois
    check your math, that's 23.5 hours not 20. just saying

Jagsfan Thanks this.
  7. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    I'm no mathematician but that's not 20 hours. According to my math it's 23.5 hours.

Meltom, slim shady and skibum_63 Thank this.
  8. HappyHardCore

Mar 19, 2007
    800 miles / 50 MPH average = 16?

So leaving shippers gate with consignee appointment in 20 hours from that point, gives 4 hours to spare, not enough time for 10 hour break.

Lets be optimistic here and calculate at 60 MPH, then that is 13.3 hours drive time within a strait 20 hour period? Still not enough time for 10 hour break to squeeze in there.

Unless I missed something in the math?

Edit: Oh you were talking about rubberducky68 calculations, nm :)

9. HappyHardCore

Mar 19, 2007
    I think he rubberducky68 was assuming 20 hours + 10 hour break time = 30 hours.

Not that he could do 800 miles all with break included all within 20 hour time. If so then yeah it would equal 23.5 hours.

Once left the shipper, had to be at consignee within 20 hours, clock is ticking. Hope that clears up any confusion. There was no addition 10 hours anywhere for a break.

Also, like stated before, its not just one misunderstanding that ended the relationship. It was several. Dispatch pushing the limits, or being thick headed, dunno. I would like to think that I communicate clearly to them in a timely manner. Pretty close to the same time I talked to another company driver about the issue, and he told me that he would have ran it with another log book. Seems to be something that dispatch was expecting of us when loads were tight and no drivers to spare. Drivers "willing to do what it takes".

10. Jagsfan

Jagsfan Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Panama City, Fl
    Times sure have changed. Back in 06 I would have done that easy.

11. Shadow Captain

Shadow Captain Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Denver,CO
    That's a typical company shill, driver should pay $250 to remove something from HireRight/DAC that was put on there totally out of revenge! To the OP, make a complaint to the FTC also about HireRight/DAC---the $2.6 million out of court settlement didn't teach them enough of a lesson! The FTC is still taking complaints about them seriously.

andre and HappyHardCore Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.