Heat Stroke wearing my rubber suit?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by tscottme, Apr 8, 2018.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Thanks. I didn't feel anything unusual while wearing my gear. I always turn my truck & sleeper A/C to max while i I unload so I have a cool spot if something happens. I was chatting with customer employee during the unload with no signs of anything. Now I know. Thanks.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    My most dangerous I reserved for this post.

My AC quit in Spartansburg 76, which is now or was a TA in later years in SC? Off 85. The previous evening was about 95 or so at sunset and AC was running everywhere in the cab in recycle mode, some frost on the windshield which I like.

Sometime in the night the AC had failed. The entire compressor and everything started generating hot air as it burned up. Recurcilated it through the cab through the night.

Fast forward to noon next day. Cracked one eye open, body felt like rusted tin man unable to move much and knew then I was in serious trouble with a extreme hot cab interior. I forced myself out, made it to the counter and told the staff to start tea pitchers by the gallon with sugar and lemon and keep them coming regardless of how long I kept drinking through how many and to call ambulance if I dropped doing it.

I sit and sipped tea from 1PM through to midnight that night I think 5 gallons it took, bill was written off. 30 bucks maybe but they just wrote it off. Before I finally had something from the kidneys for the mens room which was what I wanted.

Dispatch was NOT happy. I told them it would have been a week before anyone cared to check my dead body after that thing ran out of fuel a few days later cooking as it went.

That wasnt the whole story. I eventually had that Ac replaced. All of it. inside the firewall all the compressors, valving everything in Savannah soon after. You thought they were not happy before. The yelling started then.

For the rest of that year no matter the outside temp that frost was now genuine ice on the glass when running that AC in the south. So worth it.

Bud A. and tscottme Thank this.
  4. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    @tscottme

Stop by Home Depot and get one of those cooling towels, those things are really impressive, you just soak it in cold water, wring it out and snap it. It stays cold for a long time, something like that around your neck would probably come in handy on hot days in that suit.

Bud A. and tscottme Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.