Heated vest. Has anyone bought and used one? Reviews?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by snowwy, Nov 11, 2018.

1. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Has anyone ever bought one or tried one? I'm thinking of buying one and want to know if they actually work.

Looks like they run off a portable usb battery pack.

Smartest Heated Vest

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    There's a few that run off the battery packs for cordless tools like ryobi and others. If you have any for fixing the trucks I'd look for compatible ones.

4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I already have a couple of usb portable battery packs.

I don't have any battery operated tools.

5. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    They are nice and have their place. Like a flag man or other outdoor sedentary job. I would not want to depend on batteries.
    I’m out in extreme cold on the slopes and have no problem staying warm. It’s just a matter of proper clothing.

Lepton1, roshea, Dan.S and 3 others Thank this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Don’t forget the heated socks

7. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    When I was in college, I had the Widder system ii 'lectric vest, with the arm chaps, leg chaps, and gloves. Plug into the bike and with the flip of a switch, I was toasty warm on even the coldest days...like having heating pads wrapped around your entire body. It let me ride my motorcycle comfortably from about the 2nd week of February through the 1st week of December. Unfortunately I outgrew it, so I passed it down to my brother (who was getting ready to deploy...parked his truck at my grandma's outside of Chicago and was going to ride his motorcycle back out to base...in Montana...in November). I figured he needed it more than I did for that trip.

I keep meaning to get another set of heated gear...might go with Gerbings jacket/pants liners instead of the awkward arm/leg chaps. Gerbings also has socks in addition to the gloves.

I've seen Milwaukee brand heated jackets and such at various farm & ranch or hardware stores and considered them...but haven't sat around outside long enough to pull the trigger. If I'm working, I'm usually active enough to keep warm with just a jacket.

Jazz1 and Dan.S Thank this.
  8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I have a couple of hand warmers that use lighter fluid Dad got us for hunting like 40 years ago.

homeskillet Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I never needed anything warmer. There is a case of hand warmers that when cracked will chemically generate heat still on the shelf where it's been these last 10 years. Although I do have my limitations vs Cold these days unlike back then.

10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I'm just looking for one for work. For when I'm loading/unloading. Possible throwing chains.

Unless I'm broke down. Most of my day is driving a warm truck.

Might grab a pair of insulated boots.

Dressing up warm is overkill for a short amount of time in the cold.

My arms hate it more then anything else. They can handle the cold but jump in warm truck and arthritis starts kicking in.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    I usually wear thermals under my jeans & shirt, a Carhart vest, and a hat. That keeps me comfortable inside the truck while I'm driving, but lets me jump out to check in at a shipper/receiver or take care of something quick & easy. Keep a jacket on the jump seat to throw on if I'll be outside for longer (fueling, loading/unloading).

Lepton1 and Dan.S Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.