HEAVY Dumbbells in the truck?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by THE_TEXAN, Jun 4, 2014.

1. THE_TEXAN

THE_TEXAN Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Hey guys, im a rookie and about to start the CDL classes for Swift. I have no experience whatsoever other than my father being a truck driver all his life and riding with him also when I was young. Anyways..I used to play semi pro football and im very into lifting weights. Thats something I just cant live without. Im constantly trying to get bigger and stronger. Ive heard the whole dumbbells in the truck thing but typically they are very light dumbbells. I have two 200 lb dumbbells that I would like to bring with me on the road along with a bench so I can do presses. I really dont care if it takes up alot of room...it'll be so much more convenient than calling a taxi at a truck stop to take me to a nearby gym (I literally will if I have to lol). My question is....I know u can only weigh 80,000 lbs if i remember correctly and having two 200 lb dumbbells in the truck is 400 lbs of extra weight. Will this be a problem at all on the scales? Sorry if this is a dumb question like I said I really dont know anything yet.

Also, I plan on just putting the bench and dumbells outside the truck and using them outside not inside cuz the dumbells are 18 inches long and itd be a hassle inside the truck.

Thanks for any help lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sonnyp

sonnyp Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2013
    THE_TEXAN Thanks this.
  4. sherlock510

sherlock510 Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Intercontinental.
    Arnold, is that you?

5. THE_TEXAN

THE_TEXAN Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Lol not Arnold. Really kinda worried they will fall through the floor board of the truck lol think I better sit one on one side of the truck and the other on the other side of the truck when storing them lol. I've seen truckers way over 400 lbs though...so maybe I'm just thinking way too hard haha

6. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    400lbs pounds is a little too much for the truck. You could run into issues with the heavy loads plus they become a serious hazard if you stop.

7. THE_TEXAN

THE_TEXAN Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Dang. What if I store them in the outdoor compartment for safety reasons? Still doesn't fix the weight issue though. But if u think about it, some truckers I know bring there wife or another person along with them on the road. Perhaps a trucker with both his wife and kid. Surely that would be around 300 extra pounds or so. Really dont wana have to be calling cabs to take me to golds gyms nationwide /: and the only way I can maintain the mass I have now is if I train pretty heavy. Carrying 50 lb dumbbells wouldn't work for me. Such a interesting problem lol

8. bergy

bergy Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2013
    Dumbells - Who has time for dumbells? I'm here to drive and after trip planning and eating it's time for bed. No time for dumbells. This is serious work and there is no time for screwing around.

Just kidding - now is about the time someone makes a post like ^^that.^^

I say good for you TEXAN, especially if you are out for a long time. I feel you've got to make the truck your home as well as your job. If I carry an extra 1000lbs to make life more comfortable and miss the odd load because of weight, then so be it. In my case I intend on bringing a small motorbike along, which for me will make my life a lot better otr.

sonnyp and THE_TEXAN Thank this.
  9. THE_TEXAN

THE_TEXAN Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Great idea....actually told my dad about this today (he's a lifelong trucker) and he told me that he see's guy all the time with motorbikes on their truck and that if they can do that then surely ill be fine. If ur overweight, do u get in trouble or Is it the shippers responsibility not to overload the truck? Sorry if I sound stupid I havent even started the classes yet

10. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    I have a 240 dumbell in my truck but if I leave her behind she will get half of everything!

bergy, sherlock510 and scythe08 Thank this.
  11. THE_TEXAN

THE_TEXAN Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Lol'd hard. Man ive seen some truckers with a 400 lb "dumbbell" riding shotgun

Lumper Humper Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.