Heavy Duty Trailer Question

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by The Don, Feb 25, 2019.

1. The Don

The Don Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2019
    Hey guys, first off, thanks for keeping America moving! I know you guys have a very unique and challenging job, so thank you for doing it. Anyway, I have a question about something I am planning to do. Currently I am working on getting myself a CDL, and a freightliner day cab with all the paperwork and registration done, but I need a very unique trailer to be able to handle the various types of cargo and terrain I plan to haul in. I have a licensed mechanical engineer that will draw the plans for me, and the resources to build the trailer, my question is, Can someone build their own heavy duty trailer (GVWR 40,000 - 45,000 lbs) and get it registered and inspected and everything easily, just like if they built themselves a bumper pull utility trailer? And if so, what is the process in doing so? (I'm in Texas by the way) I do have limited knowledge on CMV regs and stuff so, if there is anything I need to know about what i'm trying to do, please mention it. Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    There are custom trailer manufacturers, for instance. Otherwise I'd imagine the licensed mechanical engineer would have to draw plans based on existing standards, which should be accessible to an engineer or custom manufacturer at least (and you should be able to consult with them, or the licensing authorities, about the rest).

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    Reason for edit: Just a thought (in no particular order).
  4. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    Building trailers is very profitable and very expensive as you need a lot of specialized equipment to do it.A lot of trailer manufacturers had to start somewhere,right. As for building one trailer to use, I would suggest deciding what you want to haul and buy a good, cheap used one. I doubt very much you can build one cheaper or better than anyone that's in business doing it. If that's what you want to do with you're life, by all means go for it.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You will require someone who builds trailers that big and their expertise. I cannot stress this enough.

Have one custom built and done right. It will cost you. But you will know that everything that should be on it is there.

6. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    I've seen many specials designs built on existing trailer frames, single drop and double drop flats modified into solvent recovery stills and transport frames for rubber and glass lined storage tanks and more...portable powerhouse for cleaning chem tankers, boiler, pumps and solution heating tanks, inside old moving vans...it is not new stuff.

This way you start with a FMCSA approved base.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.