Heavy haul as part time business?

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by ichudov, Mar 23, 2019.

1. ichudov

ichudov Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    Some background... I have a corporation, which is a PRIVATE CARRIER and has no MC number. It owns two semi trucks. I use my trucks to carry my own machinery or loads such as equipment.

I occasionally haul oversize or overweight and I have a 30 ton mechanical RGN.

I am thinking to upgrade to a tri-axle truck or tri-axle trailer to get me more allowed capacity (120,000 lbs gross for blanket permit on a six axle combination, vs 100,000 gross on a five-axle combination). However, at this point, I would not be heavy hauling all the time and it seems like just having good equipment sit around and rust away is wasteful.

So, my thinking goes, maybe I should get a carrier authority and somehow try to get some local heavy haul business? Just haul things up to 80,000 lbs or some such, just whenever I have a day free of my regular business of machinery moving/rigging? Like twice a week? Or hire an extra driver and get one more truck and HH five days a week?

How realistic is this? Will insurance kill me? What are the hourly rates offered by brokers, for local work? Any ideas?

I am in Illinois

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The insurance bills the same sitting or moving. And all them taxes eat away just the same.

Its not good to let the trucks set a while. Put a driver into the older one and take the "Good truck" and roll.

You can do parttime. But eh...You are just going to have to roll em. Besides you cannot count on getting home or being somewhere exactly the day each week. You might be tied up waiting to unload or something. Oversize and heavy is not done until it's really done. Permits, fees, times of travel, curfews etc. It will be a while.

Landincoldfire and ichudov Thank this.
  4. old iron

old iron Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Northern Wi
    You the guy from earlier asking about toll road permits for some big scrap metal job you got coming up?
    How you doing that without having "for hire authority" to begin with?

5. ichudov

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    I own the scrap, so no need for authority.

brian991219 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  6. ichudov

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    Thank you! Is there a load board or generally brokers who could give me a suitable job when I need to take a job? Like, a day job hauling a load up to 75,000 load weight?

7. old iron

old iron Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Northern Wi
    From your other post it sounds like you bid jobs, and then transport said material to market?

cke and Razororange Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I am not one to talk in the area of OS and HH. (Oversized and Heavy Haul) It's not my field. There are people here who can answer your particular questions. Im happy to offer a thought or two where I think it helps but again I can only do a certain amount.

9. ichudov

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    No I do not ever transport anyone else's scrap. I got phone calls to that effect asking me to bid, but I do not want to haul others' scrap metal.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  10. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    If you buy material its yours, and authority still shouldnt be required.

The first trucking job i had was for a quarry with no authority and we ran under such an exemption. The only stone i could haul was his. If we bought it out on the road to bring back to base that was fine but i had to have the PO on hand.

ichudov Thanks this.
  11. ichudov

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    I drive for 2.5 years myself already and own semi trucks since 2012 (have a driver also). I never was asked to produce any POs or whatever. Since I do haul stuff that is mine, I would suspect that in any kind of court setting I would prevail anyway. But then I avoid weight stations whenever possible and if I might go through one I am on my best behavior. I am not a saint in general but try to mostly stay on the good side of everything.

I thought that soil, rocks and such are not federally regulated commodities.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.