Heavy haul question, what kind of setup do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by cliffster21, Nov 11, 2018.

1. cliffster21

cliffster21 Light Load Member

May 14, 2013
    Mechanicsburg, Pa
    Hey everyone,

I have been researching getting into heavy haul with my next truck. Right now I run a flatbed.

I have been looking at different setups and how much weight each is able to haul. It looks like the most popular setups are 7 axle and 8 axle using a 4 axle truck setup (tandem and a pusher and a three or 4 axle rgn).

I was wondering if it is possible to run a tandem axle tractor with a tandem axle jeep and a three axle rgn without a booster? It seems like the weight distribution would be better and you would get more weight on this kind of setup than by using a 4 axle truck.

If I am calculating right, then with a tandem axle truck with a 14k steer, 46k rears, a tandem axle jeep and a three axle rgn you should be able to gross 175k (using PA permitted weights). The setup would weigh around 50 - 55k giving you a payload of around 120k.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jt road hammer

jt road hammer Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2018
    make sure to get permits if you dont DOT will eat you alive with fines in the thousands don't ask how i know about fines i just know

shakerclassic and baha Thank this.
  4. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Depends on tire size, best figure 20k per axle to be legal in most states.
    Have you priced a Jeep?

Oxbow Thanks this.
  5. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Why not drive for a HH outfit for awhile first? There's quite a bit to it and driving for somebody else you can learn some of the tricks.

Oxbow, x1Heavy, Socal Xpress and 2 others Thank this.
  6. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    You haven't mentioned anything about what you plan to haul.
    That is the very first thing to do.
    Then make sure that you are able to get enough loads to make a living .
    I do about 60% heavy haul myself, usually heavy equipment, but I've moved just about everything else to over the last 32 years. Getting experience with someone else who specializes in HH is priceless.

Oxbow, x1Heavy, tommymonza and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Commander1

Commander1 Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2017
    99% of the time you’ll never get your weights right on a setup like that. There’s a reason you see no one doing what you described.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. jt road hammer

Oct 26, 2018
    you can get it right it has been done before

9. Sumtinlidat

Sumtinlidat Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Do you have work lined up? Investing into a 100k to 200k$ trailer set up i’d Hope you have the work lined up. There really isn’t a one set up for everything kinda trailer/tractor.

Are you wanting a truck with a wet kit? You gonna run Cozad style lowbeds? Trailer with pony motor? What areas are you trying to run?

10. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    A custom trailer maker can build you darn near anything that you want. In my opinion don't just settle for whatever you see sitting somewhere for sale when it comes to HH. Learn what it is likely going to be that you haul the most, and then go get it made to fit your needs. A custom trailer is being built for me soon, its on the books to be started as soon as possible, it is not the average trailer, but what is going to work most often for me, and how I want it. 99.9% of the lowbeds made are not what I want, but they would be at best a very poor compromise.

11. jt road hammer

Oct 26, 2018
    how much that custom lowboy cost you ???

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.