Heavy-Haul Rates For Owner Operators

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by ROBERTCADAMS, Feb 12, 2014.

1. ROBERTCADAMS

ROBERTCADAMS Light Load Member

Sep 23, 2013
    Crossville,TN
    Hello Everybody,

I am looking for a little general information concerning rates per mile for Heavy-Haul.I am an expierenced Owner-Operator that has been home a couple of years due to a neck and back injury,After many,Many surgerys I found a doctor who could fix me instead of just patch me like the others had. So I passed my DOT Physical and am buying a 379 Peterbilt with a 166" Big House Sleeper with all the goodies,having the 3rd rear Axle installed,Also Buying a 60 ton RGN,Tri-Axle with the 4th Axle Option and a Flip Neck for a Jeep,28'Well.I know this unit will be heavy empty,So I am looking at moving mostly permitted loads. The question is because I have been out of the loop for a while,What are the current rates I could expect with a rig like this.I am looking at doing both Broker loads from load boards as well as Direct Shippers starting back out until I get my name back out and can eliminate the Brokers and Load Boards as much as possible. I am not looking for exact prices and dont want to know intricate business details about your business,I am just looking for a starting point So I dont look like a Fool. I know my cost to operate per mile,But I would like to know what some of you are getting paid per mile. I also have my own expierenced,Licensed Pilot Car and Driver that will be traveling with me.The wife is going this time to see the country and help drive and run the business end of things from the road,That is one of the reasons for the Big Sleeper,The other one is I always wanted one LOL!! Without giving away trade secrets,Help a fellow owner-operator out with a little information. Thanks in advance for the help and you can message me the information if you would rather not post it for the world to see,I will keep it in confidence!

Robert

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    It will vary greatly depending on the lane I imagine. I am not going to be much help here because I only have a tandem RGN and don't do anything heavy but I generally get $5/mile for no pilots. $7.50 and up for one pilot. $10 and up if two pilots are required somewhere along the route. This is from the north east running into ON.

EDIT: I didn't want to mislead anyone into thinking I run a dozen RGN's full time so here is some more detail. I went back to Jan 1 2013 and I've done only six DD loads. Let's say they all originate near Baltimore, MD and are 500 - 600 loaded miles into ON or QC. Rates are all in.

Legal: $4.49/mile
    Legal: $3.85/mile
    9'-10" wide: $4.31/mile
    11'-10" wide: $8/mile (530 mile bounce to PU)
    11'-10" wide: $11.50/mile (530 mile bounce to PU)
    Legal: $4.16

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    281ric Thanks this.
  4. Flightline

Flightline Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    Just so you know. If you get a large sleeper, it's gona have a long wheel base over 280". This will keep you out of Canada and that is where the decent heavy haul loads are.
    Not saying there isn't other loads, but most are locked into dedicated carriers.
    The true heavy haul guys run trucks with wheel base under 280" normally.
    Yes Canada will give special permits, but not if the truck has a large sleeper on it.

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  5. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    And can you pull a 53' trailer ? Or would he need a permit even when mt....

6. Flightline

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    That would depend on wheelbase and kingpin setting. Alot of states you are limited to 75' overall if your trailer excedes 48'. With my truck (132" sleeper) I'm 81.5 long with a 48' trailer.
    This is the reason most big sleeper trucks pull a 48' stepdeck or RGN. Part of the problem with rgn, is you get into over weight with alot of loads over 32K. and lot of customers don't want to pay the extra for permits when they can get most other rgn to run legal up to approx. 38k.

Cat sdp Thanks this.
  7. Mr&MrsPete

Mr&MrsPete Medium Load Member

Mar 4, 2012
    Stockton, CA
    Hey Flightline. I just ordered a new 389 from Pete of Joplin last week. It will be 324" wb with a 120" sleeper actually built by truck rods. Its made to look like a streched 70". Im guessing im gonna be around 25k tractor weight in full battle rattle. Is that about right? Im gonna hook it to my cozad rgn tri axle. Im thinking legal payloads of 35k and permit up to 65k

8. Flightline

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    I look forward to seeing some pictures of that truck, especially the strecthed sleeper. I'm not familiar with truck rods. Who are they? Is it fiberglass sleeper, similiar to ARI??
    Hard to say on the weight, depends on a few different things like how much does the rgn weigh? There's quite a difference on rgn weights.
    Also will the truck have a double frame? And what kind of engine and transmission.
    On average your probably close on weight numbers but you could easy go 3-5K lbs in either direction depending on these other questions.
    I don't mean to make it sound complicated but did you ask the weight of the 389 and how much does your 3 axle rgn weigh?

9. Mr&MrsPete

Mar 4, 2012
    Stockton, CA
    Truck Rods is the custom shop at Pete of Joplin. The sleeper is fiberglass. My trailer weighs 19,500 I already own it. Its heavy beause is a hydraulic neck. Truck does have the bigger frame rails with a cummins ISX 600 and the 2050 18 spd

10. Flightline

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    With that setup, I'd be surpised if you get a payload of 35K.
    Thinking more like 33K

11. Mr&MrsPete

Mar 4, 2012
    Stockton, CA
    Im guestamating ill be 45K empty but we will see

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.