hello and 2007 386 pete would you buy?

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Cheepjeep8, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Cheepjeep8

Cheepjeep8 Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2019
    Hello, i've been lurking for a while, and decided to make a account. I have been driving for 15 years, done a little bit of everything, and decided to jump into the o/o game about 7 months ago. I'm leased on to a tanker company and i haul gas local. I currently own a 2007 columbia daycab with a 12.7 detroit 60, and 10spd with 3.70 rears, 550k miles it's a good little truck, has had a lot done to it inframed, turbo, deleted, front end rebuilt and other stuff, best of all it's paid for.

Now that i've introduced myself with a little background, i'll get back to my question in the title. The man who i bought my first truck from has a 07 386 pete with a 38" flat top sleeper, cummins isx15 435hp with a 10spd ultrashift auto, and 796k miles, visual inspection shows that the turbo, and egr cooler has been changed relatively recently, good enough tire for now (new recaps), and overall a nice looking, and seems to be smooth running truck, that has been owned by a local produce company its whole life. He wants $15k for it, and i need a truck with a small sleeper, and slightly longer wheel base, i've kinda out grown my daycab already. The plan is to sell my daycab i figure i'll put $25k on it, then buy this pete for cash and have some $$$ leftover for repairs (i do most myself) upgrades (manual tranny swap later), etc.

Aside from the rest of my wall of text, what do you guys think about the truck, with this drivetrain, price and mileage?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    That years ISX is a money pit.

Keep looking.

If you buy it. You will need spare rebuilt turbo, egr, and egr coolers. Those don't last.
    Overhead every 100k miles or you'll end up with a dead cylinder.
    Constant inspection of the camshaft.

I drove 4 of them in my 7 years OTR.

4. Cheepjeep8

Cheepjeep8 Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2019
    its sister truck sitting right beside it has the factory turbo and egr cooler on it with 835k miles..... both trucks have been well maintained. You're one of the first people i've heard say that about the cm871, i've heard plenty say that about the newer models.

5. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    07 probably has a CM870.

6. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Somebody correct me if I am wrong...and I know somebody will...but just because the truck is an 07 does not mean the engine is an 07 does it? I mean it sounds like it would be obvious but it could be an 06 engine correct?
    And for the ISX, I always thought the smaller HP engines (under 500) were the better?

7. Anywhichwaybutloose

Anywhichwaybutloose Light Load Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Easy way is to check emissions. Early 07s did not have the regen system.

8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I believe the 09's I drove were 07 engines.

The 05 was an 05 engine.

They all had the same problems.

The newer higher HP engines are suppose to be better. According to this forum.

9. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Everyone has their own opinion, but we got more mileage before overhaul and had less issues with CM870 vs CM871.

pushbroom Thanks this.
  10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    What model is the ISX?

That's all I've heard it called. Never heard anyone call it a CM or anything else.

11. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I like the switching to Pete part, they make great tanker yankers, but this particular truck gonna nickel and dime you to death. Heck, if you are local, I'd go for an older Pete with a big ol' Cat motor.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.