Hello Forum.. Serious Question about stereo system and some other issues in 2014-2015 volvo 780

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by djdado, Mar 19, 2018.

1. djdado

djdado Bobtail Member

May 7, 2014
    Hey guys i hope someone with 2014-2015 VNL780 can help..
    First when i parked my 07 670 i was happy to get 2015 VNL780 with 230K miles on it..
    At first i did not mind that i have double bunk beds. But then i star noticing lot of stuff is missing like bunk speakers don't work ( still no idea how and why ). It is a 149K truck from factory and am second owner and no speakers in bunk.. WTF
    Than double beds i and no table, i was pissed off about that too, at least VOLVO when they make double beds in 780 they should find a place to put table in it. Cause am not eating on my bed.
    So many sensors so much worthless electronics its not even funny.
    So couple day ago i went on junk yard to pick up a Hood for my third 06 670 and i found Fedex 780 that has been flip on the side and it ends up at junk yard. Went and look inside and found cushions and table very clean and got them for 100$. So bottom bed is out and now i have place to eat like it should be..
    But than i went again and got my self Amplifier cause i figure out am missing amp for my rear speakers. Amp was free cause junk yard dont charge for electronics cause it may not work.. came back to my truck to find out that i do not have harness in upper passenger cabinet to hook up amp.
    So i call my friend who got 2014 780 and his truck dont have amp also but speakers working.. now am lost..
    on top of that DEF IS A JOKE. so far 11000$ for repairs on deam DEF as soon my warranty expired. Now i got CrankCase Breather Disconected...
    So my problems are.. Speakers in the bunk ( anyone got any idea)
    CrankCase Breather disconected ( no idea what to doo)
    CB Antena Fail ( Bought brand new ones and still same)
    Thanks guys
    Safe travel and Clean Roads

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I know this might seem stupid, but did you check the "fade" setting on your stereo? It might be set all the way to the front. Also, there might be a switch in the bunk area that disables the rear speakers. I know my Cascadia has that and after wondering why the speakers stopped working one day, I found it. Come to find out when I reached for the light switch I bumped the "bunk speaker kill switch" to the off position.

I'm a ham radio operator and actually spent all afternoon tuning my CB antenna yesterday and got the SWR down to 1.2:1. But I need to know what you mean by "CB antenna fail." I have no idea what that means. You seemed to go into detail with other issues but the CB antenna thing just popped up at the end of your post with nothing to back it up.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  4. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
  5. d281833

d281833 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2012
    Waaaaahhhhh, I got no bunk speakers waaaahhh, I got no table waaaahhh, first off it doesn't matter if it's a 300K truck, if it wasn't ordered with the options then why is that Volvo's fault? The aftertreatment crap is ongoing with every engine now and as far as the cb antennas go it's probably not the antenna's themselves as much as the multiplexer box that they use for everything. Are the tires at least round or flat on one side?

miszel and KB3MMX Thank this.
  6. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Holy crap. Can’t eat on the bed? Bunk speakers don’t work? Then you just casually mention the mechanical issues as if they are an afterthought. $11,000 on emissions garbage? You realize you can buy a whole truck for that much, and it won’t have tha annoying DEF crap, right?

Instead of spending so much time fixing the interior, I think I’d spend some time fixing the stuff that keeps the truck running instead of paying outrageous money for someone else to do it.

KB3MMX and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    My upper bunk speakers were there, but we're disconnected. Open the covers and see if speakers are there

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  8. d281833

d281833 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2012
    More than likely if he doesn't have the amp than the rear speakers were never ordered with it.

KB3MMX and djdado Thank this.
  9. djdado

djdado Bobtail Member

May 7, 2014
    oh sorry.. CB antenna fail shows up after i press talk button on mic.. when i do radio check i do not get responds at all.. i guess i does not go thru and on radio it shows Cb Antenna fail. I will just replace whole CB with something more reliable than Cobra brand..

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  10. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    What antennas are on truck?

Speaker system has option. You have truck with no soakers option. Cheap spec person who ordered originally.

DEF ..... You can prevent expensive repair by dealer if you start getting familiar with how system works and do maintenance .... Filters, clean doser, clean DPF, clean egr , tubes, venturi ....etc.

Or.... Buy old truck no emissions.

djdado Thanks this.
  11. Amram

Amram Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Upgrading the stereo systems in these trucks are easy. The stock speakers are good. I used an Alpine head unit, alpine 4 channel mini amp, alpine 10 inch subwoofer under the bed powered by a 500w alpine subwoofer amp. All you need is a Volkswagen harness adaptor.

djdado Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.