Hello from North Carolina

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by TerryG1982, Jan 12, 2010.

1. TerryG1982

TerryG1982 Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Granite Falls NC
    Hi everyone, I'm currently in a CDL program at my local community college, and stumbled across this forum in my search for some information on what to actually expect when I go looking for a job, and get out on the road. From what I can tell so far, I'm looking in the right place.

Before my interest in trucking, I was a construction worker and before that worked in retail for a good time. I discovered that I hated working in an office or store, and much preferred to be outdoors or on the move, so trucking seemed like it might be a good fit.

I'll be poking around here trying to find out what the experienced drivers are saying and doing, and might even kick in a question or comment every once so often. I'll see ya around the forum!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Hi, TerryG1982, Welcome to our Truckers Forum! We hope you enjoy your stay and please read our RULES. We hope to help you and get to know you soon! Thanks, TerryG1982!

TerryG1982, do you have a question about how to do something? Try our FAQ section or you can PM me or a Moderator (50 posts not required to PM a Mod) to ask a question! Also, you can read through our Truckers Forum Information Center!

JustSonny and kickin chicken Thank this.
  4. JustSonny

JustSonny Big Dummy

Oct 22, 2009
    Troutman NC
    TerryG, TerryG! Where to begin? I've been a member here for about 3 months now and I can tell you for certain that you can go to truckin' school from "can to can't", 365 days a year and you won't learn what you can learn here. So, my new friend, dig in and enjoy the ride!

kickin chicken and Baack Thank this.
  5. kickin chicken

kickin chicken Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2009
    SC
    JustSonny and Baack Thank this.
  6. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    If you do not want to be on the road for weeks at a time, you may want to check with Cargo Transporters in Clairemont, and see if they are still taking new students. I know at one time they did, but that was a few years ago.

With them you should be home most weekends. Plus, unless things have really gone downhill since Tony Pope died, they are decent to work for.

kickin chicken, JustSonny and Baack Thank this.
  7. GliderDaddysWife

GliderDaddysWife Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Kentucky
    Hi and Welcome!

I (we) are new here also.

WARNING!!!! This site is ADDICTIVE! :yes2557:

8. Diesel_Smurf

Diesel_Smurf ~Trucker's Wife~

Dec 18, 2009
    Georgia
    Hi Terry G! Welcome to the group! Am sure you will find out the info you need. Post some questions here and there, and believe me you will get some replies lol. Good luck with your new career!

[​IMG]

kickin chicken, JustSonny and Baack Thank this.
  9. Diesel_Smurf

Diesel_Smurf ~Trucker's Wife~

Dec 18, 2009
    Georgia
    nods her head.................. aint it the truth lol

kickin chicken and JustSonny Thank this.
  10. Donnyh

Donnyh Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2009
    hello and welcome Terryg :biggrin_2554:

Baack, JustSonny and Diesel_Smurf Thank this.
  11. TerryG1982

TerryG1982 Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Granite Falls NC
    One of the instructors at my school worked for Cargo for a long while, and at one time they did take students, but he told us that they no longer do and now want at least 1 year experience. I'm doing LOTS of research in that area, as OTR isn't my first choice but I certainly won't turn it down.

Thanks for the replies! In just 24 hours I've already gathered quite a bit of useful information here.

JustSonny and kickin chicken Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.