Help! Carrier doesnt want to lease on my fitzgerald! glider

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by 2tonchevy, Sep 12, 2017.

1. 2tonchevy

2tonchevy Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2017
    20170823_135930.jpg Hi people...havin a hard time leasing on to new carrier.

I have a 2000 classic xl glider with 1993 n14 celect running gear. The truck was built without abs. There is no provision for it. Other carriers had no problem since technically the running gear doesnt mandate abs till after march 1 1997.

Whats tbe scoop? Fitgerald says no problem...my future carrier says they have issue with this.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. crb

crb Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    USA
    Get your own authority.

2tonchevy Thanks this.
  4. 2tonchevy

2tonchevy Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Im heading in that direction#! Lol

But what is the law on gliders? Who can settle this disagreement?

Who can i call or see to find out if pre abs drivetrain exempts ypu from abs???

5. ladr

ladr Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2013
    GA
    The year of the truck does.

All trucks built after that date has to have abs

6. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    A carrier can accept or reject any truck for any reason that tickles their fancy. It's their authority, their decision. Find another carrier, there are plenty out there.

wore out, Old Man, BigBob410 and 3 others Thank this.
  7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    I'm not sure they are wrong...Here is the law for ABS...
    From 49 CFR 571.121 - Standard No. 121; Air brake systems.

(b) Each truck tractor manufactured on or after March 1, 1997, shall be equipped with an antilock brake system that directly controls the wheels of at least one front axle and the wheels of at least one rear axle of the vehicle, with the wheels of at least one axle being independently controlled. Wheels on other axles of the vehicle may be indirectly controlled by the antilock brake system. A truck tractor shall have no more than three wheels controlled by one modulator.

As the ELD mandate showed, the FMCSA sees a glider as the model year of the glider. It took a special exception to get them to define the date as the engine date. Just don't piss off any DOT guys during an inspection. :)

scythe08, 2tonchevy and daf105paccar Thank this.
  8. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    The carriers insurance probably is driving that decision. Whether or not you legally need abs is irrelevant the carrier wants it on the truck......

They can set their equipment standards as high as they want above dot regulations....

2tonchevy Thanks this.
  9. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    More important..........don't get in a accident with fatalities.
    The lawyers will eat you for breakfast,lunch and dinner.

2tonchevy Thanks this.
  10. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    I don't care for ABS because I like my brakes "Touchy" With ABS and auto slacks...They Never stay "touchy" the way I like them..(a day or 2 after I adjust them and that's it)

I Define "Touchy" as the Meaty feeling of brake shoe grabbing the drum "Right now"

I Removed all my ABS cables and Module on my truck- never been harassed.

Yes,I go through shoes every year or so- But I like the Sheer stopping Power Pulling 80k

11. 2tonchevy

2tonchevy Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2017
    I appreciate the input guys!!

The issue is strictly a legal one according to the safety director with this carrier. They just want to make sure my truck is legal without abs. Thats all.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.