Help finding a trucking job

Discussion in 'Seek Employment' started by Gypsyroad, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gypsyroad

Gypsyroad Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2009
    ohio
    Last year I failed a random drug test for THC,the company didn't fire me and I did the SAP thing and they put me back in a truck again.

I had just went back to work for them and I failed the random because of something I did weeks before I was even in their truck,which is why they chose to not fire me.

Plz don't say that I shouldn't drive truck if I smoked pot,I just come off a year off on vacation,and was not doing it in the truck.
    in fact I don't even smoke it now,
    I drink on weekends and have never had a DUI,nor do I mix alcohol with work.meaning if Im out all week,I wont even drink when laid over.
    Ive never had an accident nor speeding ticket,nor any damaged goods on my part,and Ive drove OTR for 10 yrs.

Anyways,plz don't criticize me for my mistake,I have learned the hard way.

Well 2 weeks later I was a day late on a west coast to east coast load and once I returned to the main office the next week,they promptly fired me.

I have called them and asked for my job back,and they said not at this time,and to recall them in four more months.
    Ive been out of work for over a year now,and cant find anyone to give me job driving truck.

If anyone knows of a company that might consider hiring me plz reply to this thread.

Thank you

edit.

I really like this board structure,going to have fun reading it as well too.

good job on the creation of it :D

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FreeSafety36

FreeSafety36 Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Kentucky
    Every one of us make mistakes and have been guilty of a poor judgement call or two. No matter what our mistakes are, we always seem to think our own weren't nearly as bad as someone else's. A mistake's a mistake, so anyone who looks down on you for your's is a hypocrite IMO.

I don't know of anyone off the top of my head to tell you to apply to. I had a buddy who got in that same boat and he wound up having to take a hiatus from trucking for a few years, but he's back driving again now. Some time between you and your mistake may be the only answer.

Something you might try, however, is pick a company you really want to work for. Talk to the recruiter and be straight up with him or her about what happened. You may even want to go see a counselor on your own dime, and get yourself a diagnosis clinically clearing you of addiction. That would show your potential employers that you're proactive and serious about not doing it anymore. If that isn't enough, maybe offer to submit to a pee test every other week for your first 6 months or so, and you might even offer to split the cost of it with them (they run about 40 bucks usually).

Now that may not sound like the best deal, but if you really want to get back in a truck, it may be your best bet of doing it...and then again it may not make any difference to them, but at least you'd know you tried everything.

It sounds like you learned from your mistake, and that's really all anyone can hope for. You can't change what already happened, you can only prevent future occurences. Good luck, man. Hopefully for you someone's willing to give you a second chance. Just remember, that's more likely to happen if you can show them you're serious about it not happening again. Good luck.

4. Kabar

Kabar Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Pell City Al
    I have never used drugs of any kind. And I have never delivered a load late that was shipped on-time. If I was a recruiter I would want to know why I would even waist my time with a driver who made 2 big mistakes. Yes everyone makes mistakes and you say you have learned you lesson. Which is good if it is true. But the fact remains. You have screwed up twice big time. There are thousands of drivers who have not made these mistakes looking for work. So I would want to know how you can guaranty me that you won't make another big mistake that might cost my company thousands of dollars. If I where you I'd start looking into a new carrier.

5. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    While I Have to agree with some of what Kabar has said. In your shoes, try a local co., delivering furniture, hauling gravel, or some other such hourly job. It may not be the best, but work is work.

Baack Thanks this.
  6. Gypsyroad

Gypsyroad Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2009
    ohio
    Thanks for the very passionate replies,and helpfulness.

I might get lucky and find a company that will hire me or my previous company might rehire me in 4 more months,or ill have to wait up to 5 years,(it seems to be the time they use on drug failures)

Ive spent alot of time searching my issue on the web ans have seen tons of other boards completely trash ppl who ask for advice on my issue.

Thank you for not judging me and being real with me too.

On a side note though,Ive seen lots of talk that freight is slowing way down and jobs in trucking are hard to come by,I don't see that.
    when I try to apply to a company,it seems they are all hiring and my drug failure is what stops them from hiring me.

Also,Ive been looking for a board like this for quite some time now,I love the web and all the fun boards like these are.

If and when I do get back in a truck,Ill then become a very active member here,I love to talk and debate stuff :D

Thanks again for the time you took reading my thread and the genuine concern you showed me.

Michael

7. riddlemethis

riddlemethis Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2009
    What part of Ohio are you in Gypsy?

8. Gypsyroad

Gypsyroad Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2009
    ohio
    North east Ohio,30 miles east of Akron,why ? :biggrin_25511:

9. riddlemethis

riddlemethis Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2009
    There is a local company out of Carrollton that might be hiring. I don't know if there are any open trucks but it might not hurt to try them. There's also a company out of Dover that is only a company to get back in the business with. Again, don't know if they're hiring or even still in business and I would definitely get away from them ASAP.

The one in Carrollton is Griffeth and Sons Trucking.

Dover is Ohio Carrier Corporation.

Gypsyroad Thanks this.
  10. Gypsyroad

Gypsyroad Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2009
    ohio
    Riddlemethis

thanks,Ill check it out :D

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.