Help me build an exhaust

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Antonovich, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Antonovich

Antonovich Light Load Member

May 11, 2019
    I have an 07 International 9400i. I wanna move on to flatbeds next year's, I'm pulling Amazon loads now. I have no room in my truck for equipment. So I need a headache rack. But to get that I need to remove my big fat muffler in the back of my cab, along with the cab aero crap but that's a different topic.

So, I want side pipes. I want it straight piped. I want that loud and deep rumble of my Cat C15. I know I need a Y-pipe. Will a generic one work, or do I need that 6-inch to 4-inch International specific Y-pipe? I know I also need 2 flex pipes, and elbow pipes. I'm guessing these 2 things, I can use generic ones since the the turbo out pipe diameter is what needs to be proper size. As far as the stacks themselves are concerned, I'm guessing those 8-inch fatties won't fit. The driver's cab is not as narrow as Pete or KW, so those pipes would stick out a lot. So what's the max size I can go with?

Lastly, is this something that I can do my self, on the street with basic tools? I mean, I changed the exhaust on my car - full exhaust including aftermarket header, this should be just as straight forward. And how much does that muffler weigh? Is it gonna kill me when I unbolt everything? Or this whole thing something I should have a shop install for me?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. I glide 47

I glide 47 Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Mufflers weigh about 50 pounds by itself

Antonovich Thanks this.
  4. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    If you plan to run flatbed in the future, Stacks will make you work more. Stacks, tarp, weed burner, no tarp.

speedyk and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  5. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Id run a single weed burner same size as the flexpipe. Probably 4" or so. Save you time money and weight.

D.Tibbitt, FlaSwampRat and Antonovich Thank this.
  6. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I would not put a weed burner on a bicycle, as far as I am concerned they should be illegal.
    That said,, I was in the same boat as you, and checked on installing side mount stacks, NO there is not room for 8 in exhaust, or even mufflers on them, and I priced all the hardware to put side stacks on it and it was spendy, but that is not the reason I didn't go with them. I was told by international, that some of the cabs did not have the inter support that supports the brackets for the stacks, and I did not want to tear out my interior just to see if it did or not. How true that is, I do not know.
    My truck had a single stack, so I built an offset headache rack that left the exhaust exposed on the passenger side and had more clearance than the muffler itself.
    I also had the full skirts, so I built hidden boxes that went behind them, one one the drivers side for straps that was only 6 inches or so wide, that would hold 16 straps, and one about 18 inches wide for the passenger side for misc. stuff. I also bought one of the aluminum boxes that went between the frame rails.

I did remove the roof fairing, and it drove like a whole different truck without it.

7. Antonovich

May 11, 2019
    I actually don't mind tearing up the interior. Already tore up the whole front looking for that #### brake light pressure switch (turns out it was on the firewall inside the engine bay).

I don't want to install side stacks simply for more room for a headache rack, I also want them for sound. I like it loud. My car is loud, might as make this thing loud as well. I love that deep rumble these Cats make.

But what do you mean about the roof fairing? How did it drive different after removing it?

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  8. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    It handled much better in wind, curves and just in general, I am talking quite a bit.
    I ran out west in the wind and mountains a lot, a guy might not notice it as much in some parts of the country, but it will still be noticeable, I am pretty sure. I know it was night and day difference in mine.
    PLUS, it didn't look stupid pulling a flat or step, and I had no intentions of ever pulling a van again. lol

Antonovich and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  9. Antonovich

May 11, 2019
    Yeah I figured it'd handle better. For me even as I'm still pulling vans, I want the roof scoop off. It'll make it easier driving around NYC. Don't have to guess if that posted height limit is the actual limit or NYC limit.

As far as the exhaust goes, hell no I'm not installing a weed burner! I've parked next to those and I would not want to inhale exhaust fumes all night! Seems like 6-inch stacks would be ideal. If my truck doesn't have some special hook points for the side stacks, would it possible to install like a steel plate on the inside for support, so the stacks don't rip out off my cab?

10. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    From what I was told, that is what they have already built in on cabs that are made for dual stacks.
    I have straights on one of my cats, but only because I do not want that low clearance muffler under it that KW and International uses. The noise gets old, especially when I run the jakes for 3 or 4 miles. lol
    I bought some inserts to put in them one time, but never did, I am now thinking about getting some of those slim chrome mufflers and installing them, but probably won't.

I would not pull the roof fairing off if I was pulling vans, the few times I have pulled a van, since I took it off, the mileage sucked big time compared to when I was pulling them every day and had it on.

11. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    On a 9600 they had dual on the side of some. Your gonna remove a catalyst muffler on a 07. However when you come up to installing your Y under the cab. The trucks from the factory used 4" for clearance between cab and frame. Then you could use 4" elbows and adapt to what ever size you want. Its gonna be a hodge podge of parts.

Visit a junk yard or someplace and take some pics.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.