Help me find my ideal trucking company

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Yk91, Jan 21, 2015.

1. fencitup

fencitup Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Bronx, NY
    Tough crowd here... Tough crowd

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Backing was something when I started I way over thought. Dino you already know this, with backing 90% of it is in the set up that's the key right there getting set up properly when you are set up to back properly it's amazing how all the pieces fall into place and before you know it, you are in.

4. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    LOL I'm getting my popcorn ready for this one...:happy1:

It will not be easy for you to find a local job with no experience. Then when you couple in the fact that you need an automatic truck, you're better off playing the lottery.

Dinomite Thanks this.
  5. UKJ

UKJ Heavy Load Member

Dec 28, 2014
    go to yellowpages.com or yp.com whatever they go by now and search for trucking companies in your area, then look at the ones with websites. visit their sites and see if they are local. Call ones you're interested and see if they have what you want, then go visit in person the ones you think you'll like to get a vibe of the place and apply.

Remember you can use your CDL and make good money without an 18-wheeler too like driving a Dump Truck, Garbage Truck, Moving Van, Straight Trucks, etc.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Try Southeastern Freight Lines.

7. Cruser711

Cruser711 Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2015
    Texas Big Country
    Is that you Curt ?

8. Rooster1291979

Rooster1291979 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2012
    NOLA
    You should drive for Walmart. They hire brand new drivers and all their trucks are autos.
    They train and pay $1000 a week while in training. Apply directly at a distribution center. Hurry before all the largecar petes with massage chairs are all gone.

9. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
  10. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    You want your cake and eat it too don't you?Unless you find a local company that trains you're not going to have a choice but to go OTR to get the exp.You also said you're not comfortable with manuals,how would you know have you drove a rig with a 10 speed?

11. G.Anthony

G.Anthony Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    First and foremost, DO NOT compare a grocery store worker, or bank teller to a truck driver, please stay with in the same industry for PROPER comparisons of salary, hours, etc.

Second, you are really in NO position to be in of a demanding way to get a job, local. Yes, YOU CAN TRY and you might luck out. But you are not a "proven entity" yet, heck, you do not even have your CDL yet. You will not get "pre-approval or pre-hire" letters from local companies, but you WILL get them for the OTR companies. My best advice is TO GO OTR and actually LEARN how to handle the hardships on the road, HOW TO SHIFT, at the very least a 10 speed MANUAL, and garner "some" experience for all of about 6 months to one year, THEN SEEK out local work. But I will say this as well, unless it is a garbage truck, milk truck, beer truck, and maybe the post office, you had better set your sights on shifting a transmission thru the gears.

Only the best will do!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.