HELP Me! Please.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by bradyr693, Nov 23, 2018.

1. bradyr693

bradyr693 Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Okay, I need some help from former truckers or new truckers. I just recently got my CDL's Nov.9 and had orientation Nov.19 in Chattanooga, TN @ Covenant Transportation. I had a pre-hire letter had my background & MVR pulled and was told I was good to go. I finished my whole orientation and they decided not to hire me. Just got home yesterday! They said it was for safety issues. Let me explain, I got convicted of a felony (March 6th 2014). I was 19 (October 9th 2012) when they charged me with Common Law Robbery. I was young and stupid. I'm 25 now and a totally different person. I decided to go to do trucking because I know they are felony friendly..well for the most part, right? My felony is 4 years old and now Im feeling stuck. On my MVR I had 2 speeding tickets and a seatbelt ticket including a suspension, my suspension was for an unpaid ticket. My suspension has been at least 3 maybe 4 years ago. Now...I'm wondering who will hire me? What companies give people second chances? I just dont want to go through what I went through with Covenant...Thanks in advance :)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    Dreazz75 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

Trucking isn’t any more felon friendly than any other blue collar job.
    Keep looking.

4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    some companies will not touch you until 5 years passes on the suspension, and speeding tickets..that's the safety issues they spoke of...

the felony was not the reason, although, it does not help you.

try carolina cargo, western express, for starters.

good luck to you.

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    If Covenant wouldn’t take you, you may be SOL. You could give Western Express a try though.

austinmike and bradyr693 Thank this.
  6. bradyr693

bradyr693 Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Thanks guys! I will look into them. Covenant told me my driving record was okay but my background wasn't? That's what they told me. So I'm guessing since it's considered a 'violent' crime they wouldn't accept me. I know they have hot loads so that might have been the reason.

7. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
  8. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    standby......chinatown will hook you up

Chinatown, Dan.S, Dave_in_AZ and 2 others Thank this.
  9. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    frankly, all companies consider all thier loads to be "hot loads"......then you get to the place you have to be at, on time, if not early, and so many times, they tell you they didn't need that stuff until next week.....

some companies however have (or had) a lifetime ban on anyone with any felony.....

Werner was (or still is) one such company

@Chinatown has had his doorbell rung a couple of times now, he will need to know your general location....

good luck.

I glide 47 and bradyr693 Thank this.
  10. bradyr693

bradyr693 Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Well I know there has to be someone that will take me. Hopefully he can help. I'm in Stokesdale, NC. I looked into Mabe's Transport in Eden, NC but then again I'm not really sure if they will take me either. Its close to where I live too. I just dont want to be put in the situation I was in with Covenant.

11. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I have one question. Just one. It's your call if you choose to answer it or not. This question will seem ignorant and simple. Here goes. Did you put all that information in your original application? I ask this question because a very close friend of mine works in their safety dept. They generally don't do this kind of crap. If Covenant sent you home your done with them. I do know the person at "choo choo" that does most of these background checks. Maybe @Chinatown might have some ideas. He will ask your location. That will help a lot.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.