Help me turn my CDP into CDL in exchange for drive time!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by ss7tek, Dec 29, 2017.

1. ss7tek

ss7tek Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Being an owner operator you can only drive so many miles (hours) a day/week. In exchange for your help with the skills test I would dedicate a couple weeks driving as a team; no pay expected. We would just need to stop by a Missouri testing center somewhere along the way for the time expected for the skills test. Not only would you be paid by my drive time but more importantly you would be helping someone in need. Thank you, God bless, and drive safe! Ray

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    You are aware that driver-owner operator would have to log on duty time when he has someone with permit in his truck.

Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  4. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Learners permit requires a licensed driver in the passenger seat. Can not legally drive while licensed driver is logging bunk time.

I understand your position. But you also have to take into consideration the incredible difficulty you will have finding a job with out 1 of 2 required elements.

1: A minimum of 1 yr driving experience. Most insurance will require this,.. you may find some bottom feeder mega's that will hire you with 6 months. But you will most certainly need a strong fortitude to deal with that.

2: Driving school. The Be All,.. Know All,.. Super Duper requirement that an insurance company needs to see. They actually prefer this over someone who has 10 yrs experience with a 4 yr hiatus from trucking.

Insurance controls this industry. Sorry,.. but that is the cold hard reality you are up against.

Hurst

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That's true and now with Elogs, probably no chance of finding an owner-operator to help him.
    Best to attend school, like the free one at www.cfidrive.com in Joplin,MO.
    "Company-paid Tuition"
    "With a 12-month commitment to drive for CFI, qualified students can now receive fully paid tuition to attend driving school in Missouri. We’ll even cover your room and meals for the duration of the four-week course."

midnightlost Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Hurst has it right.

Insurance is key here and there is no help to be given to a O/O risking his equipment, his load to someone who is raw.

Hang in there, your CDL will come along soon enough in it's good time. Someday you will be like me looking back on those days having had your fill of driving.

7. ss7tek

ss7tek Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Thank you for responding!

8. ss7tek

ss7tek Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2017
    I have already made contact with a couple different companies who will train me once I have my CDL. Maybe there is still an O/O who will take that chance with me. I have touched heavy equipment; no expert but professionalism I have to offer will more than extend to the safety of him/her who is willing to help me and their equipment. Yes... I'm asking for an act of selflessness in order to accommodate my request! Thank you for taking time to respond! God Bless and drive safe!

9. Jclark87

Jclark87 Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2016
    Why dont you just find a company that will help you get your cdl or pay for you to go to school

10. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    You can blame elogs for this problem! :)

Chinatown Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You're correct. The rules have changed starting before Christmas. If he is a permit holder and driving, the owner-operator is on duty and won't be able to ever drive his own truck because he will have zero drive time available. The owner-operator may be just sitting in the passenger seat,but that still counts against his drive time because he's on duty and will never have any hours available to drive his own truck.
    Even if he finds an owner-operator that would make this sacrifice, it will cost the owner-operator probably $5,000.00 to $10,0000.00 in lost revenue per week. He has his schedule and drive time down to a science and any interference cost him money.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.