Help! New Grad & Looking for “Local” work

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Meljoy, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Meljoy

Meljoy Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2018
    Hello All,

Newbie here. Recent CDL graduate this week. I am having trouble finding a job that allows me to have as much home time as possible. I’m in my 30’s and live in Atlanta: no background, medical, MVR issues whatsoever. I will be taking endorsement tests on Monday.

However, I want a local gig like beverage/food/or similar companies to get started with as I am finding out that I need at least 3 months experience do get an Linehaul/ LTL gig. Also, If you work in the food industry, can you please give insight? I hear that is is physically demanding than most.

Can anyone please help? I applied to Sysco, PepsiCo, MartinBrower, XPO, FedEx, BlackHorse, and Nestle so far.

Thanks so much!

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    You are probably going to have to work OTR for at least six months without any incidents before most class A local jobs will take you on.

The new drivers who find local CDL class A jobs are either experienced, or know people.

Employers want you to have OTR experience because it exposes you to lots of different driving conditions and screwy intersections.

Xeno124 Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Sometimes these advertise for local/line haul and new cdl grads.
    Estes Express
    Saia
    Southeastern Freight Lines
    R&L Carriers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Dean Foods - click here to apply > Apply On Company Site
    Dean Foods uses Class-A & Class-B trucks. You're qualified for both with a Class-A CDL.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Navajo Express may still have a position that runs from Atlanta to Jackson, TN once a day. You will be home every day. Don't know if they still have that position or not; Call and ask.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    Meljoy Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Sygma Network - Atlanta,GA
    Click here to apply > Apply On Company Site
    We are hiring CDL-A Drivers!
    SYGMA provides delivery services for some of the largest food chains in the country. We are looking for Delivery Drivers across the country to safely and efficiently transport and unload product for our customers. Our service excellence is driven by the dedicated SYGMA employees who are constantly bringing our beliefs and values to life.
    SYGMA hires:
    • Line Haul Drivers
    • Delivery Drivers
    • Driver Helpers
    • Driver Trainees
    • [​IMG]

Meljoy Thanks this.
  6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Other type of "stay home" work is ready-mix/cement, trash hauling, construction/brick hauler. Also look at LPG/propane delivery.

Meljoy Thanks this.
  7. Meljoy

Meljoy Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2018
    Thank you all for the valuable information! I know it’s a stretch because most want Otr experience but I won’t give up! ☺️

8. Meljoy

Meljoy Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2018
    Thanks! I’ve applied to all of these except for R+L. Got a bit tired of filling out applications. Lol. I will follow up with the applications on Monday

9. Meljoy

Meljoy Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2018
    Thank you! I never thought of these except dump truck. Will look into this.

10. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    It's not so much of a stretch for CDL B class work, or warehouse work at a company that also needs CDL drivers.

11. Guitar Man

Guitar Man Medium Load Member

Sep 29, 2006
    State Of Confusion
    I started right out of the gate with R&L in a " dock/driver" position. (Hint, I never worked the dock). Zero in on a few companies and be persistent. As long as you don't mind fingerprinting freight, I'm positive it'll be worth your while. You'd be surprised how many LTL companies will take you right out of the chute,provided you can pass a whiz quiz and have a decent background and work history when they run a check. Good luck man. This can be done if you want it. :cool:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.