Help obtaining CDL- Need Advice

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DrivetoDrive, Jan 2, 2018.

1. DrivetoDrive

DrivetoDrive Bobtail Member

May 26, 2017
    I made a post awhile ago but signing up for class to get my CDL. However two weeks before the class was to start we were told to go obtain a DOT physical. I went to a local clinic that was on the approved list for the physical. I had two issues:

1. There was sugar spilling into my urine and I had an elevated blood sugar they said. I have blood tests every 6 months that include fasting blood sugar and never once in 10 years have I had any indication that I have diabetes. The Doctor said if I had my primary care physician write a letter that I am not diabetic she would pass me on that. My doctor did so and sent her my fasting blood history.

2. On the history section of the physical I had checked a box that I had a sleep study done before(really kicking myself for checking that box). This opened a whole can of worms. I told them I don't use a cpap because I was told it was optional for my level of sleep apnea. They said they need me to either obtain a letter from my doctor that I do not require a cpap or I need proof of 3 months cpap compliance from the cpap company. Well obviously I can't be compliant with something I never used. My doctor refused to put in writing that I don't require a cpap unless I do another sleep study. I had to do 4 sleep studies before I could finally sleep through one and I wasn't about to do that again. So I got a cpap and have used it every night since.

Now the community college isn't offering CDL classes again until August and thats only if they have enough people. I am certain that I have the cpap compliance I'll need. I also began to exercise more, and eat healthier. The urine sugar still worries me but I plan to fast and drink a lot of water for 48 hours before the next time I need to do one. I am hopeful that will make a difference.

The advice I need is about how I should obtain the CDL. I live in a very small town a couple hours east of Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. I am not going to go to a place where I will need to spend a year OTR, and I have no interest in OTR at all. There are local CDL jobs and that is really my focus. Any advice would be great. Thank you.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Check your blood sugar on regular basis. For your situation.

midnightlost Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    REMEMBER... NOT to be in a hurry.

So the class is full until a later date. That is ok. You will get a spot when they have one for you sometime whenever later this year or even early next.

DOT Medical exams have one word on the forms you fill out. "NO" to everything. Dare the doctor to find stuff. If they don't find &^%$ it's a two year card.

Now if they DID find something while poking you to ahh and eyeball a chart on the wall etc then there IS a problem at that point. Otherwise the #### thing is not a problem. Can I go now? etc.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Old Dominion Freight Lines and Schneider both have local work and hire new cdl grads.
    www.schneiderjobs.com shows whats available in your area.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I remember last year an Old Dominion recruiter showed up at one cdl school in PA looking for 14 drivers to hire. Google to find where the terminals are located.

Dan.S and midnightlost Thank this.
  6. DrivetoDrive

May 26, 2017
    Its not that the class is full, its that the class is only offered once a year and they need at least 3 people to sign up in order to offer it.

midnightlost and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. DrivetoDrive

May 26, 2017
    Thank you Chinatown. Do you have any advice on what I should do as far as CDL school goes? So far my only option seems to be in August which is a long time away and might not even be offered. I don't like hedging my bet on it.

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Check www.schneiderjobs.com for something you like. If there's something on there, contact a Schneider recruiter and ask about cdl school help. Sometimes they'll pay for cdl school.

Some food service companies will hire you with only a cdl permit. The training is OJT with an experienced driver and the pay is good. They give you 90 days to qualify and acquire the cdl and it's all on their dime.

Here's a few companies that hire with a cdl permit; but, not at all terminals.
    Sygma Network
    Fastenal
    McLane Foodservice
    Gordon Foodservice - some terminals have guaranteed $1000.00 weekly.
    Old Dominion Freight Lines - dock to driver program.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Gin86 Thanks this.
  9. Aradrox

Aradrox Heavy Load Member

Jan 21, 2016
    I get sugar In urine if I drink soda before physical make sure your not doing that had to get letter from doctor whom also ran an A1C test Wich I passed easily no sign of diabetes or pre diabetes said I had perfectly normal levels.

10. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    If you're being told you have sugar in your urine, you're either drinking entirely WAY to much sugary drinks, eating entirely WAY to much junk food, or you truly are a diabetic and just haven't been diagnosed.

It's suggest getting an a1c check to be sure. Fasting blood sugar doesn't do a #### thing. Your a1c is what would determine if you are diabetic.

midnightlost and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. TaterFox

TaterFox Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Ashland City, TN
    @Gin86 read what is in this thread

Gin86 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.