Help on a miss on a Mechanical N14-STC engine

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by pacificmotors, Apr 18, 2018.

1. pacificmotors

pacificmotors Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2018
    I just bought a mid 90's Condor 150 boom truck with a Mechanical N14 engine.

It has a miss I can't figure out, low on power.

When I give it full throttle and let go of the gas pedal it will die.

So far I have changed the fuel filter and scratched my head a lot.

Never worked on anything like this before. Anybody have any ideas on where I can start diagnosing the miss?

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    When engine is cold. Start it and right away take a laser temp gun and check temps of each cylinder at the exhaust manifold. Look for a cold one. keep checking temps and look for a big difference. But must due this before it gets to warm and heat soaks the complete manifold.

4. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    Do as he says to locate a dead miss if that is your problem.Can also be done with your hand,if your quick,and don't have a temp gun. A mechanical N-14 is a great very simple basic engine. Probably as simple as a bad injector,easily and fairly inexpensive to replace as it's not computer controlled. Would be a good idea to check all filters,esp. air,since you have no history on the engine. You can also pull your valve covers,check your rack adjustments.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  5. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I would start with a clear hose inline on the fuel pump supply line. Sucking air? You can make one with reuseable hydraulic hose fittings and clear hose from the hardware store. Double clamp each end, bands are better.
    Then a 300 PSI gauge connected to the side of the shut down solenoid. What does it read as it stalls?

AModelCat, spsauerland and jamespmack Thank this.
  6. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Its sucking air. Go over everything from tank to pump.

As boxcar said .

jamespmack Thanks this.
  7. pacificmotors

Apr 18, 2018
    I just put a temp gun on the exhaust manifold next to the ports and let it run for about 3 minutes. At the end of the 3 minutes here are the rough temps I saw.

Cylinder:

1 - 120*
    2 - 120*
    3 - 170* (turbo flange)
    4 - 65*
    5 - 50*
    6 - 90*

With those numbers I'm assuming there is an issue in 4, 5, and 6.

The engine is in a 1994 truck, and only has 16k miles on it.

Do these injectors plug up for sitting long periods of time?

8. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    OR MAYBE 4,5 and 6 are getting most of the air.

BoxCarKidd, jamespmack and AModelCat Thank this.
  9. jamespmack

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Well it shows a difference. Now something I don't Know. Does it have a dual fuel line from pump to front head, and rear, or just front, or just rear. It is steel. There is one return. Being that its a group cylinders. I would look for lines sucking air, and check fuel psi. But I think i would first take the line of before filter head and change fuel source. It works on suction on that side of pump. So just drop a line into a fresh clean supply of diesel. 5gal bucket? Recheck temps and performane. You should Isolate which side of pump the issue is. Chassie or engine. Be prepaired for the fuel tank on a old lo milage truck to be full of crap.

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  10. pacificmotors

Apr 18, 2018
    We called a trucking company next to us and they sent their head mechanic over. He said our problem is in the old fuel. The inside of the tank was sticky like it was coated in glue, and he said that was our problem. We are going to drop the truck over there and they said they are going to steam clean the two fuel tanks and try to clean out the rest of the lines. He was very confident that was the problem, and he seemed to really know what he was talking about.

magoo68 Thanks this.
  11. jamespmack

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    So should I tell you to just replace the lines and go into great detail of why or do you wanna just ask your confident mechanic next door? Thank You.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.