HELP! Volvo 2013 780 D13 DEF Issues - 5 Dealership Visits Later and Still No Fix!

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Thighmondo, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Thighmondo

Thighmondo Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2018
    Perhaps someone can help with any suggestions? I'll give you as much info as possible (note: if relevant - I have a very heavy load). First, the DEF Fuel Guage cut-out and went to zero. Then it started flicking on and off intermittently. Then I got three fault codes (SPN 1231 FMI9) and (SPN 1231 FMI2) and (SPN 5246 FMI16). Then I got an SCR System Fault Engine De-rate. So I went to the nearest dealership. They found loose wiring and a burnt terminating resistor (807) which had fallen on the exhaust and they replaced it - saying that's the issue following data link test. Then, I carried on, and the next day the same happened with two faults, as well as the DEF Fuel Guage, flicking off (check engine ECU and engine fault with the SCR De-rate - on to the next nearest Volvo Dealership. By this time I am noticing that it's happening when it's hot - as when the truck cools down all is good and the codes go away and the DEF Fuel Guage starts working fine. At this dealership, the truck showed no active codes and they checked the EGR Cooler (reading 0.5 psi at KOEO) and Removed the EGR Pressure Sensor (cleared out ports and refitted - now reading 0.01 psi). Advised to disconnect EDL to see if it's interfering and causing Data Link Codes (so did that). I went on my way bobtail and not even 20 miles down the road had issues again. Back to the same dealership (fault codes reading SPN 5246 FMI0 and FMI15 and FMI16 x8). They checked related wiring harnesses for SCR and DPF (no faults found). They disconnected the DEF Pump Connector and found no leaks into the harness. They reinstalled harnesses and carried out voltage check for ACM (passed ok). They checked the ECM and ACM software (all up to date). They tested the Data Link Wiring and found one pin from the battery voltage pulled out on the ACM side. They pushed them all back and checked that they were locking in place and all was ok. They tightened the master switch cables, disconnected the battery, cleaned them and reconnected and tightened them all down. They sent me on my way and 200 miles down the road - same again. Dealership number three! When I got their (bobtail) they had an active code and found no continuity on Data Link to ECM or ECU from the ACM. They removed the wiring harnesses, pulled off and cut all tape trying to find the CAN BUS Splice. They found it at the hood to the ECM before it connected together. They re-spliced - no code reappeared. They were going to send me on my way and the DEF Fuel Guage went off again. They cleaned all earth terminals and re-tightened them on the chassis and the positives and starter motor. After leaving, bobtail, not even 20 miles, and here we go again! They then bi-passed the master switch and connected the battery directly - after hooking up to my trailer the DEF Guage again went off and I also have fault code active (SPN 1231 FMI9). I told them to try the sender unit but they said that doesn't connect on the same harness. I am now waiting until tomorrow morning for them to try again - but they seem like they don't know where to go from here. Perhaps someone has a suggestion? Everyone seems to be scratching their head! Help!

JohnC123 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    5 dealers and a methodical hunting?

Sell it.

mhyn Thanks this.
  4. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    this was happening rainy day? do you have QUALCOMM connector hanging on sleeper wall outside?

5. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Check the fuse for the SCR system on the battery as well as the connection on the battery. My ring terminal broke off and the DEF gauge went to empty, followed by codes and derating. Test your connections with a multimeter to try and track down where your problem is.

6. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    I've talked with many techs who have seen lots and lots of broken wires hidden inside the insulation. Manufacturers are skimping on the wire gauge and material quality to save money on copper. Tell them to either inspect the wiring carefully, or replace the entire wiring harness to the emissions system. Someone needs to find a hungry lawyer to expose this pattern of the cause of emissions system related faults and initiate a massive class action lawsuit.

Heavyd and JohnC123 Thank this.
  7. Thighmondo

Thighmondo Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2018
    Tha
    Thanks
    Now the last dealership has done that they are now changing the sender unit from the def tank

8. pafcllc

pafcllc Bobtail Member

Nov 24, 2018
    I had exactly same issues with def gage on my 2015 780. Changed def level sender to correct the problem. Also keep your batteries terminals clean and tight, and you will avoid lots of headaches.

9. JohnC123

JohnC123 Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2018
    d
    Did any one of the Dealerships actually do a computer "Forced" Regen after their repair or did they just send you down the road?

10. E70x

E70x Bobtail Member

Jul 26, 2014
    I have similar problem
    ACM gets 5V when ignition is ON but when ignition is OFF acm gets 12V
    Volvo VAH 600 2020year with 1600 miles on it.

11. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    I buy Volvos. Any condition, 2000 MY and up. $0.50 per pound .

Newto Trucking Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.