help with a starter on a detroit diesel 60

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by bentleyweezer11, Aug 20, 2011.

1. bentleyweezer11

bentleyweezer11 Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Park City, Kansas
    I am a fabricator who is an apprentice in a class A diesel shop. I have been working on a Volvo with a series 60 Detroit Diesel in it. The starter is giving me some trouble, I cant seem to get the bolt out closest to the block, I have removed all the wires, cables and the only thing left is the last bolt. I was told to heat it up, but I dont want to damage the wiering harness...any advice? I really cant get anything back there to put any kind of tourqe to it..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dave26027

dave26027 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Dallas, Texas

Common problem- some penetrating oil, an airtool and a universal joint on a long socket extension is the solution. When the bolt finally unscrews, slip some rubber hose over the bolt head to unscrew it. Use the rubber hose again to get the threads started and to get it finger tight.

That bolt next to the block is the toughest one.

bentleyweezer11 Thanks this.
  4. bentleyweezer11

bentleyweezer11 Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Park City, Kansas
    Thank you so much....I thought the u-joint with a short socket on the end of a long extension would be the only way..I never thought to use the hose, I will have it out in the morn..You saved me a hell of a lot of time

dave26027 Thanks this.
  5. Will23

Will23 Bobtail Member

Sep 19, 2013
    I could really use some help from someone plz, when I go turn turn my truck in it does not turn over just clicks in the cab, I cleaned all battery terminals and wires, I replaced selonoid at fire wall, took all cables off starter and cleaned, still just clicks, I have been starting my truck with a wrench at the selonoid on the fire wall can also start with wrench on selonoid on starter, I have also checked fuses, can someone tell me if this is because my starter is broken or is there a way I can test it without having to take it out of the truck, this is on a Detroit series 60.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.