Help with insurance / 2 car hauler not for hire

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by ATL-BRAVES, Dec 19, 2017.

1. ATL-BRAVES

ATL-BRAVES Bobtail Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Hey im trying to get my truck and trailer legal. all i have left to do is take car of insurance. im under 26,000 pounds and not for hire and haul my own vehicles. i have dealer insurance but im assuming DOT wont accept that but im not for sure. Does anybody know which insurance companies are affordable for liability insurance in kentucky? i know i fall under a different category than most is why i havnt found anybody that really knows what liability insurance will run. any help is appreciated!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. StrokerTSi

StrokerTSi Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2016
    The used car dealer I used to work for had their roll back under something call garage keepers insurance and he got pulled over plenty. So it must have been ok for dot

4. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    You just need to get a commercial auto liability policy and you will be good to go.
    You don't need full carriers insurance because you don't have a motor carrier authority and you are not hauling for hire.
    I have a lot of experience with this as I run two businesses on both sides of this.
    One is a full for hire auto transport bussiness with my own for hire authority.
    The other is a auto dealership and transmission general repair shop.
    The roll back and the trailer for the auto dealership is just a commercial auto policy.
    Now the auto transport for hire bussiness is a whole different animal when it comes to insurance.

5. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    Contact Progressive Commercial

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.