help with L10 issue

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by jeffl0123, May 18, 2019.

1. jeffl0123

jeffl0123 Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2018
    Hey guys. So I need some help on what I could be looking at with a smoking issue. Yes, I know its a Cummins. But this truck has been very good with no smoke over its life. It only has 400,000 true miles on it.
    So here it is. I start the truck and there is an initial puff of smoke and then clears up to no smoke at all within about 10 seconds. None. So what I have noticed is that after I did an oil change, with oil and fuel filter, it seems to now smoke. But not all the time and not initially. Like I said, I start it up and no smoke at all. I run to the factory where I haul manufactured homes, which is about 80 miles away. When I get there it is smoking pretty good. It seems to be a bluish white smoke. Over the winter before the oil change I do not remember it smoking like this at all. Last time I got home and let it sit about an hour or maybe a little longer. Came out and started and no smoke again. Don't know if this could be a sticking injector or maybe something with the STC or what. Any advice would be appreciated. 1994 Ford L9000 with the mechanical L10 and 9 speed.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Look to see if it has any oil in the turbo air outlet. Is the air filter stopped up? If someone drives behind it does it smell like burnt oil? Oil and fuel smell very different.

4. jeffl0123

jeffl0123 Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2018
    I will smell it next time I get to the factory and its smoking. Air filter is good. As for the turbo I will have to take a look at it. I replaced that about 4 years ago. Hope that didnt go again.

5. A5¢

A5¢ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Maybe time to get an oil analysis done. That will show all sorts of things that the eyes, ears and nose cannot detect.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.