help with trucking laws questions usa and canada

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by uk article writer, Oct 6, 2018.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Gotta be fake der me son. Ders no Newfinese in that transcript b'y.

Dan.S Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uk article writer

uk article writer Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2018
    Thats great!!

4. uk article writer

Oct 6, 2018
    Hello bud.Just taking you up on your offer should you have time.

5. uk article writer

Oct 6, 2018
    Hello fella.Few questions if you have the time.. 1)If stranded how long will a night heater(bunk heater )last before it drains the batteries? 2)If fuel gels does it stop night heater working? 3)Is it mandatory to carry tire chains in the winter? 4)When coupling to a trailer that's either to low or high.Do you higher or lower airbags on the tractor or do you lift 5th wheel independently? 5)When coupling do you have trailer brake fitted to trailer?If there isn't a trailer brake what stops trailer from moving once air line is coupled up? 6)Are all bridges marked up with heights?

6. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    1. With batteries in good condition, and no other electrical draw, a diesel-fired bunk heater will easily last overnight and well into the following day. I have never bothered to figure out the theoretical maximum time possible. I frequently used mine, along with a companion engine heater, but not not running the engine, in -20/-30* C temperatures. In the very low temperatures both heaters would last overnight.
    2. Yes, it can. It has never happened to me. When I was running from the southern US (right down to the Mexican border in California, Arizona and Texas) to northern Canada, I would run my tanks low adding fuel as I headed north so I didn't get caught in the cold with fuel designed for warmer temperatures.
    3. It is mandatory only in a few states and the province of British Columbia. However, it is foolish to not have them over a much wider area.
    4. Fifth wheel height is fixed, so, yes, there are times where raising or lowering the chassis via the air bags is necessary.
    5. Current-day trailers (and tractors) are equipped with brakes with two chambers. One chamber applies the brakes according to the driver's application of the brake pedal. The other chamber contains a spring that applies the brakes when the air pressure is removed. The spring brakes hold the trailer in position when un/coupling. Many trucks also have lever to apply the trailer brakes independently.
    6. No... depending on jurisdiction. In western Canada and much of the western USA bridge heights are correctly marked. Many places in the east (Quebec in Canada and New York in the US), bridge heights are either unmarked or incorrect.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I only used the bunk heater when the situation demands it I think once in Madison WI I was logged out of 70 HOS weekly until midnight and it was winter. A couple of gallons in tanks. 40 yards from a old 76 fuel pumps. Could not fuel without violating HOS. The heater did it's job well until after midnight, filled up and then ran engine as usual on a new week. That particular ATS company tractor only had a single 145 gallon tank making for two fill ups per day OTR. It was insuffcient and I will never do that kind of trucking again with that kind of single tank.

Ontario is usually the Winsdor to above Toronto and then out through Buffalo for me. Once or twice we crossed in with Random House books from Maryland to Toronto via Buffalo and then back out empty.

The rest of it has been covered by the previous poster.

Air brake pressure ensure the spring braking is retained. Lose the pressure, lose the power to brake then the springs are free to stop your rig. One way or the other you are going to get stopped and might be some damage doing it. For example you have burned out the brakes downgrade then spent all your air trying to add more fading brakes that goes away and zip faster you go. Finally springs take hold, you might not stop until smash or off the mountain. But it's extreme to consider that kind of outcome. You really have to be really poor on mountain work to get that deep.

In addition to 5th wheel and air bags some good tractors have angle iron welded to the frame. Hop the trailer right up into the 5th wheel. It's not done often because you have the chance if you hooked too hard you jump the entire 5th wheel. Something only done once in my lifetime. (Raise trailer 5 inches by brute strength fully loaded) It's a young man's game more than anything. For me wear and tear on the skeleton was enough to retire me decades earlier than normal life expectancy onset for what I have. But right in line with what we were told to expect in a lifetime of trucking that somewhere between 40 and 56 or so you might not be able to continue.

8. uk article writer

Oct 6, 2018
    Thanks very much for your help !!!

9. uk article writer

Oct 6, 2018
    Thanks very much for your help !!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2018
    Reason for edit: Fixed Quote
  10. uk article writer

Oct 6, 2018
    Thanks very much for your help!!!

11. uk article writer

Oct 6, 2018
    I apologise.I,m not great with using this site.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.