voltage drop on the fan solenoid supply... causing the fan to stay on

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by HopeOverMope, Oct 15, 2018.

1. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    been doing a lot of electrical tests with a friend here who has an 09 Pete 387 with the Cummins. We have insite and have been doing multiple resistance checks, voltage checks, sensor checks, ground checks, data monitoring and etc...

The issue is, there’s 12v power on the fan solenoid supply with the truck running. Then at 1500rpm the voltage drops to 9v, tested by using the power probe tool. This causes the engine to fan to run and if he’s going down the road it will stay on because t’s logging code 0245 fan circuit low voltage. Does anyone got any ideas on this one? We’ve already done the trouble shooting tree for the fault code, testing for internal short on the solenoid, short to ground, pin to pin short on the harness and etc. the solenoid did pretty much fail, testing right at/over 3ohms. He’s getting a new one tomorrow along with some more sensors.

Anybody got ideas or experience on this one?

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    First, check which type of fan clutch is programmed into the engine. There are two types, variable and on/off. If variable is programmed, you will get different voltages, actually different PWM duty cycles, but with some meters it will read lower voltage. You should have an on/off type. Second, if it is programmed correctly, watch your ecm battery voltage as you increase rpm to see if the ecm itself is starving for power and showing lower voltage.

4. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    We did check the ECM power cable for resistance. Unplugged the ecm connector and the battery connection. Tested good. I didn’t watch the actual voltage while going up in rpm, except at the oem harness fan solenoid supply. I would watch that in the data monitoring section right? Or just on the dash?

It is The on/off type thats programmed in the ecm. He did just put a new fun hub on, but I tried the other settings like ‘variable no speed sensor” & etc just to make sure it wasn’t another type of hub. The other fan program types caused the fan to be on non stop with code 0245 active at low idle.

I tried checking for resistance and grounding at the ecm power cable to help eliminate the starving for power issue. I know once corrosion sets in it can really clog things up.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yes, watch it in data monitoring. When I check ecm powers and ground, I will disconnect the main power connector at the ecm, and then jump the power terminal to a headlight bulb. This is a good way to load test the wires. If the headlight is nice and bright, you have a good wire. Testing for power with a normal little test light, or digital multi-meter will only tell you it has 12 volts, but if the wire is damaged it can't support any amps which a meter or small test light will not draw much anyway, so they would show it is good when in fact it may not be.

6. JohnC123

JohnC123 Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2018
    Just thinking fan clutch solenoid 6 ohms, hope that solves everything. What other items might share that power circuit maybe while running, egr, turbo actuator, lambda, coolant pump speed ect. With a block diagram, that circuit would show the items involved and maybe the origin of the splitting -off of that power to the individual items, again this is heavyd's idea about current draw.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.