Helping out father

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by rubenj1985, Dec 12, 2013.

1. rubenj1985

rubenj1985 Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2013
    My farther recently just lost his job, so he decided to get his trucking license. However, has not experience on the business side of trucking. I would like to help him out if i were to open a trucking company would i need a Class A License if we were to be doing all the driving? I would simply just fund and over look the whole operation. Any recommendations?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Menehune

Menehune Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Since neither of you have any experience nor knowledge pertinent to the trucking industry. Maybe, it would not be a good idea to jump into starting a trucking business, nor going Owner Operator or the like just yet. If your dad wants, why not get his CDL and hire on with some company to gain experience, and get some knowledge of the industry first. Just a thought.

4. rubenj1985

Dec 12, 2013
    Let me add well my father has 4 years of experience driving for a company. He knows the driving part, but not the business side of it. I would like to help him out the best that i can.

5. Cy Ran

Cy Ran Light Load Member

May 20, 2012
    So Cal
    Since it appears you have the finance part worked out, go talk to an insurance agent and get some cost/numbers from him.

6. rubenj1985

Dec 12, 2013
    thank i will take your advice and do so. Do you think there will be any problem if i own the company however, do not have a Class A License?

7. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    I'm sure you meant he.

No you won't need a CDL. But if you are buying a truck you have to get your operating authority and like Cy Ran said your insurance.

The top middle box has the registration process.
    https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/

It takes time to establish a customer and broker base. He is better of signing on with an established company until you learn the ropes. You can't buy experience.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Since he has 4 yrs. driving experience, consider just buying a used truck and leasing on to a company such as Landstar, Mercer, Farm2Fleet and then in a couple of years evaluate the situation and decide if you want to start your own company. Contact those companies and ask what they recommend for their operation concerning a used truck. You must be careful to spec the truck for the particular type of operation you will be involved in; flatbed, refrigerated, dry van. If you plan to run to California, that's another big issue as to which truck you buy. Some trucking companies sell their used trucks already spec'd for their particular operation. Schneider has cheap trucks, Melton Truck Lines(flatbed), TransAm (refrigerated), The Truck Paper, Arrow Truck Sales.

Some owner-operators on this forum can advise you as to which truck to avoid. Those trucks look beautiful on the used truck lots and there's a reason they're on the used lots. They stay in the shop broken down more than on the highway, with EGR problems.

9. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I've always advocated 1 year learning the industry before considering the owner operator route.

However, many resources on here regarding the process.

Oops. I assumed he had no experience. If he has then fire away.

Have you considered your CDL in case your Dad needed time off for any reason?

10. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    He's going to crack the whip and make dad work! I'm the boss now! :biggrin_2559:

HotH2o and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  11. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    RubenJ 1985……..welcome, you stated you would "look over the whole operation" for your Dad. My question is, what will you be looking for ? You don't have any trucking experience, so, you won't be able to see any problems if they arise. Trucking is much more than punching in and collecting moneys from your customers and then taking it to the bank. A few things to consider: Where would you get a blown radiator repaired at 5am on a Sunday in College Station, Tx. ? How about a replacement tire for a blow-out in Cushing, Ok. ? If Pops has a delivery (floor load) and the lumpers want $300 to unload it, can Pops unload it himself ? 3300 cases with 11 different product codes. If your Dad took off a hood in a truck stop, would you pay the other guy direct or run it thru your insurance ? If a broker jacked you around with money owed to you, could you deal with it ? Oh, the joys of trucking ! Anyway, think hard BEFORE you commit. :walk:

CondoCruiser Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.