Michigan, CDL graduate looking for the best place to start off

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Whammy737, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Whammy737

Whammy737 Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2021
    Hey all, first want to say I absolutely love this resource and I thanks to all the folks who weigh in on these forums for us newbies..

I wanted to ask the experience group what company sounds like the best fit for me to jump into. I am looking for somewhere where I can make at least 80,000 a year, and have my cat. Preferably with school reimbursement.

I don't care if I'm out on the road all the time and I don't need to be specific to the Midwest but I wanted to ask because folks seem to base it on where you're starting from.

I had been feeling really excited about taking a position with JBS carriers. I really want to jump into trucking and I work for the company now in the Midwest ( to not get too specific). They have a $5,000 bonus $1,500 a week salary and will reimburse for CDL school and I was lined up and even ready to begin classes late August.
    However when I started telling truckers that I know with the company that I was switching over they keep asking me if I'm sure and want me about the cameras being used pretty intense. And as I started reading on here it seems like there is a large issue with specifically how JBS uses the cameras..

I don't have anything to hide I'm not worried about that. I consider myself a straight shooter but the complaints I hear are enough to make me really second guess if this is going to shoot myself in the foot trying to become a trucker. I work usually between 60 and 80 hours a week now on an hourly wage so I'm not scared of putting it in but I wanted to ask folks with experience before I signed myself up for something.
    Any recommendations for thoughts are Much appreciated thanks guys

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    Reason for edit: Misspelled
    austinmike and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Whammy737 Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The cat severely limits his options.

Whammy737 and 70s Trucking Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    There's several Line Haul and Food Service jobs where a driver can make $80G - $100G per year, but don't allow cats.

Whammy737 Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Food companies & grocery warehouses don't want to risk cat hair in the buildings.

austinmike and Whammy737 Thank this.
  7. Whammy737

Whammy737 Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2021
    Thanks folks I understand it's a huge pain in the ### but I've had her since she was 3 days old shes like my child.. so it sounds like maybe JBS is the best fit so far

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Midwest regional runs. No northeast or west coast runs. PETS ALLOWED, guaranteed minimum pay. Plus they will pay you more if you run more miles then the minimum guaranteed. Detention pay of $20 per hour after 1 hour. They pay detention pay themselves. So even if they don't get paid by customer they still pay the driver. They hire out of Michigan, about the lower half of Michigan. They hire new CDL drives and train new drivers also.

Big downside is cameras and they run truck pretty hard in my opinion. They like to run 70 hours in 6 days and do 34 hour reset every weekend on their regional runs. They do have 5 days a week fleet Semi Regional, home every weekend. They even have 4 days on 4 days off fleet. Lots of drop and hook customers, that's how they keep drivers moving running regional.

Regional Truck Driver - Customize your home time with Keller Trucking

Whammy737 Thanks this.
  9. Whammy737

Whammy737 Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2021
    Thank you im going to look further into it

10. MiFamilyGuy

MiFamilyGuy Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2012
    US Xpress has a Dollar General account that could meet your needs. Weekly resets at home. I'm not completely sure but I think they might allow pets. I spent 7 years on that account. If you're a hard runner and don't mind physical work 80k is probably doable.

Whammy737 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.