Hey, guys. Just wanted to know a few things about Swift..

Discussion in 'Swift' started by swmtothemoon, Oct 25, 2017.

1. swmtothemoon

swmtothemoon Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2017
    High Point, NC
    This is my first driving company. I was approved today and was told that I can start schooling in 2 weeks.

First question would have to be one of my concerns:
    1. How long are the average wait times between deliveries? I don't want to get shafted and have to spend 24 hours waiting for my next run.
    2. What are the minimum hours that I have to work each week? The recruiter said the max was 70 but I can't remember the min off the top of my head.
    3. The recruiter offered me $.37 a mile. Is this bad? After I did the math of driving 2200 miles a week I averaged $37,000 a year.
    4. Are there beds on the trucks? Or do you get a hotel after your delivery? (yes, I will be driving across the country as well)
    5. Is there really a driver cam that watches your every move???

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Motel? Nope. You will be living in that truck for weeks at a time unless it’s in the shop. Swift has a horrible reputation. There are 100s of threads on here about Swift.

swmtothemoon Thanks this.
  4. albert l

albert l Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2013
    On the Road
    Do some more researching before jumping into this industry

5. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Swift runs mostly sleeper tractors, with some day cabs doing local work, so yes, there is a bed. I think the Swift driver in town has now switched companies.

.37 was good a year ago for a starting training company, I really don't keep up with that all that much anymore.

Mike2633 and swmtothemoon Thank this.
  6. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    to become a successful OTR driver you will need to be very flexible and not to fussy, drivers will often refuse loads to certain destinations and then whine about how their not getting enough miles. .37c per mile is pretty good @ 2000 miles per week thats $740 before tax if you can average around 2800 per week that'd be alot better. In fact getting 3000 miles per week should not be to hard even at 600 per day x 5 is 3000 Most driver cams i know of are action activated so you hit the brakes they come on etc etc, i could not envision some kind of camera taking pics of your every move that'd be invasive and highly illegal.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Truckstop food will run you 20,000 dollars if you taint careful.

.37 was top pay in 1992. I should consider .50 is basic training pay these days. Inflation you know...

You will get shafted somewhere. Maybe if you are blessed, you wont feel it.

Minimum hours? What is this? A ... medicore race to the bottom glamping from one picnic table to the next?

Forget the hours. You are now engaged in a great crusade. That with which your semi and you keep these united states running.

Beds? Shore there are. About 3 inches thick of foam matress, over squeezed by a tobacco smoker who likes to chew bacca and kill the occasional roach...

Yes there is really a driver cam... I want a dispatcher cam so I can yell at him hurling verbal abuse. Call it a excellent team building stress elimination exercise.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  8. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    The camera did use the driver facing side when we first got them. They no longer film the driver, only the front view.

There isn't a minimum amount of hours that you have to work each week, but you usually should not average any less than 8-10 hours per day.

The wait time between loads can vary depending on available loads in your area. More often than not you will have the next preplan before you deliver the current load. If you still have hours to run that day it's likely that you will head directly to the next shipper.

As others have said, there are beds in the truck. Plus storage space and room to cook.
    Most new trucks now come equipped with large inverters so you can power things like a microwave, toaster oven, electric grill etc.

9. swmtothemoon

Oct 25, 2017
    High Point, NC
    That is why I am here.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. swmtothemoon

Oct 25, 2017
    High Point, NC
    Thank you so much for the quick response. I seriously just want whatever I can get. I will drive as much as I can just to make more money. Do you know if the wait times are really high for this company? Like longer than 30 minutes? Thank you about the cam thing. I'm glad it's not just constant surveillance.

aussiejosh Thanks this.
  11. swmtothemoon

Oct 25, 2017
    High Point, NC
    Just curious. I don't care where I sleep. I just wanted to get my mind ahead of the game. Hey, this is my first driving job so it sounds good to me. Especially if all I have is to go up from here.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.