high blood pressure

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by mack pinnacle, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Bigarmin88

Bigarmin88 Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Tampa Bay Fl
    I was on Lisinopril about a year,then I went back to the doc and my bp gotten way to low.So he took me off it and now i'm due for another DOT exam and hope my bp wouldn't be that high.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sammycat

sammycat "Oldest Hijackerette"

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    lay off the caffine and salt before your DOT physical- the salt will cause you to retain fluid and therefore make your BP go up and the caffine due to how it works could also increase your BP. Good luck!!!

CondoCruiser Thanks this.
  4. lifesafight

lifesafight Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2007
    East Orange, NJ
    Hi,

My BP has been yo-yoing since 2006. I have never been on meds. My last DOT physical was in October 2010 and it was 140/88. I was scheduled to start orientation at my old job this past Monday. I need a refresher because I have not driven for three years. I had to cancel because I went to the doctor a week ago and it was 148/86. I see the doc again in a week. I have always worked out but it does match my calorie intake so I am overweight. My worst fear is that my BP will fall below 140/90 by next week and then go up again when it's time for orientation. I don't know if the doc is willing to give me meds. I ordered a home BP monitor online but it has not arrived yet. I get excited very easily. That could be part of the problem. The situation has me worried. I'm been out of work since April. Somebody please help! :biggrin_2551:

Thank You

5. TheHealthyDriver

TheHealthyDriver Heavy Load Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Stony Mountain, MB

Diet and exercise are key. It really is as simple as that.

6. DrQuinn18

DrQuinn18 Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2008
    WA State
    i have a family history of high blood pressure, but no diabetes history. My Bp stays well over 140 and i exercise and eat healthy. I am wondering if i need meds, i hope not!

7. Gold_Miner

Gold_Miner Medium Load Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Burnet, TX
    Ok none of these post answer the two questions.

1. If you are over 139/89 do you get disqualified and not allowed to drive?

2. If you take BP meds and get a 1 year card, are there medicinces that will disqualify you?

8. La Pine Ron

La Pine Ron Bobtail Member

Dec 22, 2011
    La Pine, Or
    Gold Miner, good questions. Also, I have read here on some post guys get hired on with a company, get to orientation, take the company physical and fail, get sent home. Other than maybe drugs in their system, why is this. They are already in possession on their DOT Medical card, why would companies be failing them. Also, if anyone here is a Schneider employee, what is their BP limit in their pre hire physical?

9. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Just as long as you test physical day lower than 140/90 you are okay. If you go over, they will let you rest 10-15 minutes and test you again. They might even give you a third chance.

I had one physical I tested way high. They checked me four times before they failed me. I knew my BP wasn't that high. I requested a different BP tester and nurse. They retested me and I passed.

No, BP meds don't disqualify you. You have to be established on them. You can't fail one day, get Lisinopril the next day and retest. It takes 30-45 for your body to fully adapt to the medicine.

If you are borderline, it's time to get on the BP meds. They'll start you on the lowest dosage possible and gradually increase you as neccessary.

I first started on 10mg Lisinopril. Two years later I take 40mg Lisinopril and 100mg Metoprolol. My BP is now 110/68. I even take an anti-coagulant because of a stent and it's not disqualifying.

They'll shorten your card to 6-12 months, but you'll be okay as long as you are under a doctors care.

Now if I can get my diabetes under control, I'd be okay! :)

Not always the case. People do have some bad genes like me. I have high cholesterol because my pancreas ain't the best. In fact, all my health problems fall back to my pancreas. I have had high cholesterol even in my twenties when I could run a marathon. I was very active and in good shape until 45 before everything did a Uturn. All the men in my immediate family are the same way.

For the normal person, yes, diet and excercise is the key. Others have underlying conditions.

10. ghostchild

ghostchild Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2009
    I took mine today....and it was 108/68....:biggrin_2555:

And I haven't even been working out or anything...infact I've been sitting around for the last few months with natural light....

I'm thin, but I'm not that thin to warrent such low pressure...

I'm going to retest at pharmacy just to double check...

Also...crushed red peppers, or any kind of hot peppers helps lower blood pressure, opens up arteries...

http://www.livestrong.com/article/489475-do-peppers-lower-blood-pressure/

And also laughter...lots and lots of laughter also helps to reduce blood pressure...

So remove thy socks and have someone tickle your soles...

[​IMG]

Live long and strong...

This renagade truckers heart is still beating...crazy as ever and having fun....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUL68ZeclcA[/ame]

11. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Anybody on BP medication should buy a good monitor . Tke it to your doctor's office and check it against their readings

cuzzin it Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.