High fuel mileage specs?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by EasyMoney, May 16, 2008.

1. EasyMoney

EasyMoney Bobtail Member

May 8, 2008
    northeast MS
    What truck and specs would you guys suggest for the best fuel mileage in a flatbed operation? It seems that Maverick has this figured out better than anyone else. I know they are not cowboy trucks, but I ain't chasing indians nor am I BEING chased by indians!:biggrin_2559: I'm just looking for a nice ride in good shape that gets good mileage for now. Maybe I can return to a cowboy truck when the kids graduate college.:yes2557:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 550hpW900L

550hpW900L Road Train Member

Jan 29, 2008
    norcal
    I will tell ya pulling a flatbed you really wont see to much of a difference between a rooster cruiser and a vacum cleaner....

Also the best truck today is the one with NO PAYMENTS, if your 359 is paid for and gets 5-6mpg comparing to a 387 that you will owe 50+K on and get 6-7mpg (yeah right not on ULSD) i really dont see the point.

4. EasyMoney

EasyMoney Bobtail Member

May 8, 2008
    northeast MS
    You may not believe me, but it will make a difference even in flatbeds. I have seen it. But I won't sell or trade if it's not gonna make get me at least 1 more mpg. There would be no point as you mentioned. just kicking it around right know. Had a really bad day when I started thinking about this. Got home and had a good night rest and a better attitude the next day. Funny how that works, ain't it!:biggrin_2559:

5. D16

D16 Light Load Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Vancouver
    Friend of mine bought International Prostar midroof with ISX 500HP ,13 speed Eaton fuller and 3.73 rears.He's haul stepdeck coast to coast,so far his average MPG is 5.8 and hope to improve to 6.0 at least for summer time.BTW cab inside extremely quiet even compare to my VN670.IMHO this Prostar is a best choice for hauling skateboards.:yes2557:

6. 24valve puller

24valve puller Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2007
    N.E. Oh
    525hp + motor not newer than 03, unless you take your cat off the bridge, 3.55 or 3.70 rears and an 18 spd. Mid roof bunk should do just fine unless you are going to be 13'6 all the time. Also set the computer to not let you go faster than about 62 mph

7. EasyMoney

EasyMoney Bobtail Member

May 8, 2008
    northeast MS
    Interesting, why would an 18 speed be of use for hauling 80,000 and under? I see all these trucks spec'ed with that transmission and everyone I ask does not even use it like an 18 spd. Seems to be a waste to me, but thats why I'm here. For the good stuff! Definitely want a mid roof or flattop, no skyscrapers for me. As for the Prostar, fuel mileage good, appearence very BAD! The only truck that is uglier is the new International Owner/operator savior. I can't remember the name, but it looks like a train engine. Don't get mad fellas, just having some fun. I am the one looking for better mileage, not looks. I appreciate the comebacks so far. But how about them Maverick and TMC drivers, what kinda fuel mileage are ya'll gettin?

8. Redrider

Redrider Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2008
    boonville,nc
    i got a fresh C-15 475hp 10sp 3:55 rears i run 1475 rpms at 70 mph and i'm gettin 6.8 mpg

9. pathfinder

pathfinder Medium Load Member

Aug 25, 2007
    central,MN
    Easymoney, I cant really speak from experience of my own, but I have talked to several O/O's, various co.'s, driving 379's pulling flatbeds. Each one has said they were getting 6-7.5mpg. They did it by letting off of the right peddle. Stayed pretty much at 60, occ. 65. According to them it didn't cost them much in miles and saved a ton of stress. Also talked to a guy on the radio who had it figured out that for every mile per hour he went below 65 he put $33 a week in his pocket. His words, no proof.

10. bagged

bagged Light Load Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Oregon
    I run a 379 exhd. When I pull my flatbed I run wood beams loaded 24 inchs off the cab. I run these beams with a couple of other trucks same route everyday and pull a 1/4 of a mile to the gallon less then their freightliner centurys. I am spec'd with a 430/470 detroit, 485 program overrode 10%, a 13 speed, and 3.90s on low pro 24.5's. I have never seen much of a difference in fuel mileage pulling my flatbed no matter what I haul. When I hook to my reefer tho then the fuel mileage drops about a mile to the gallon.

11. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    You don't use all 18 most the time but the time when you need them and not have them is when you'll kick yourself in the butt. When you have to stop on a big hill with 80k on and you can't get your ten speed to grab more then 3rd gear without coming to a stop it will be a long trip to the top. Plus the 18 has a super low reverse gear which I like. ANd it has a higher torque rating then the rest. at least it did back when I was buying trucks.
    Maverick sells allot of trucks, if you like them go look at what they have

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.