High health insurance cost

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TruckRunner, Jun 19, 2018.

1. TruckRunner

TruckRunner Heavy Load Member

Dec 21, 2017
    Hello, I am a single guy with no kids in my late 30s and as a company driver making $90,000 a year I buy health insurance that the company I drive for provides and it is only $120 per month for health, vision, and dental. I did a quick google search and the cheapest plans where I live are $450+ if I were to buy it for myself. I am wondering if being an owner operator will I make so much extra money that it wouldn't matter that I paying way more for health insurance or would it set me back in pay? I plan to work nearly every day I usually take four or five days off every three months and I dont mind NYC driving.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Regardless if you're an O/O or not, whatever you pay for health insurance decreases the amount of your available money. Yes, if you make more money, then you can afford more for things like insurance, but being an O/O comes with its own set of challenges and you need a lot of money saved up before considering it, as well as some business experience with a business plan.

4. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    I can't comment on your question other than if you go O/O route you may seriously also want to consider disability insurance. I know a few O/O who sure wish they'd had it.

Pumpkin Oval Head Thanks this.
  5. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    It's only few hundred extra...

TruckRunner and Mike2633 Thank this.
  6. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    450 a month sounds way too cheap...

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  7. TruckRunner

Dec 21, 2017
    Yes I have a good amount of money saved up. I also have business experience. I just wonder if I would make so much extra than a 90k company driver that it would be worth paying higher insurance cost.

8. SteveScott

Nov 10, 2015
    It all depends on where you live and how close you are to good freight. Smart O/O's are doing great right now and netting well over 100k a year.

TruckRunner Thanks this.
  9. TruckRunner

Dec 21, 2017
    I live in my truck so I can stay where the money is

NoBigHurry Thanks this.
  10. SteveScott

Nov 10, 2015
    What kind of trailer? If you truly live out of your truck, there should be no shortage of people on here that can help you with the most profitable lanes right now depending on what you're hauling. I was looking at the DAT spot market today out of central California for Reefer and the average rate was over $3 a mile, which means there are a lot of loads going for double and triple that. The table grape harvest is going on now and they pay a fortune to get their produce delivered across the country. I don't haul produce, but if I did I'd be living in that area.

TruckRunner Thanks this.
  11. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    The odds of disabilty are greater than death.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.