High Rpm....low speeds

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by trucky909, Sep 20, 2020.

1. trucky909

trucky909 Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2014
    I said this probably 5 different and I dont know why some weren't grasping.

All I wanted to know basically was it normal for my truck to be in 7th gear already at 18 mph @1500 rpm? Was it normal for my truck to be on 8th gear already at 1500 rpm goin 25 mph?

This was a yes or no question.....

Not sure how this question wasn't understood.

Most of the answers I got was...."no...thats not normal...it's your clutch..." "you have clutch slippage...' "the previous clutch job wasn't done right...."

Well its not the clutch.....

I have no idea how that question went over some of your heads....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Because you stated, multiple times, that the rpms climbed faster while loaded compared to empty for the same speed. In the very first post in this thread you said this is when empty and it’s worse when loaded.

4. trucky909

Jul 4, 2014
    Ok this is the clutch that was pulled. Mechanic advised to replace.....it was 50/50 split on suggestions on other posts to either replace or put back in. I chose to put back in.

Holes in the story ...I don't know....i though I asked a basic question and didn't really get clear answers outside that maybe it's the clucth.

Truck is only increasing 5mph in speed in gears 4 through 7, from 1000 rpm to 1500 rpm, and leveling out in gears 8 through 10. I just wanted to know was that normal.....and it turned into calculus.

I've taken the truck to 3 mechanics to diagnose....nobody could find anything. Did I hear that maybe the transmission wad swapped without me knowing a few times as a last suggestion? Yes

Mechanic that fixed the tail of the transmission said that transmission is fine....gears are fine, and this is the transmission that matches the truck....if that means anything.

The delete.....you're suggesting that maybe the delete caused other problems. That was my last resort....but if there is a problem caused by the dete....no one else that's diagnosed this truck has mentioned that. The 3 computers I've had on the truck....they said everything looks fine.

So I don't know......

Attached Files:

5. trucky909

Jul 4, 2014
    I thought I asked it right initially... but maybe I didn't. If I had a chance to ask it differently/correctly....I guarantee you....it would've still been split on suggestions. A clutch would've been mentioned....."how the hell are you in 7th gear at 18mph already @1500rpm would've been mentioned....and so on.

I'm just gonna roll with it.....

6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    That’s what it should be running with 264 rears.

7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Guess I’m wrong again. Based on the examples given, if my math is correct, 1250 RPMs would be 56.36 mph. I could be wrong, Lol.

8. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    to be fair I don’t think he even knows what he is describing

different ratios/trans will all have different shift points, a truck with 4.33s and a 15 speed are going to change gears and climb different then a 13 speed with 3.55s, I’m not trying to say this wrong but I don’t think the parts swapped or op have any idea what they are actually talking about

Ruthless Thanks this.
  9. REALITY098765

REALITY098765 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2017
    [​IMG]

If you put that back in, that's all I need to know.

Ruthless and AModelCat Thank this.
  10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    look did it fix the problem?

no so it wasn’t a clutch problem, right?

the mechanics are idiots, they looked at what on the computer, and what did they use?

Did they actually use oem software to see what the calibration and ECM file is?

is it a modified ECM file from some clown who hacks the ECM for the delete?

Did any mechanic actually look to see if the ECM is actually defective which can cause the problem?

did you do a follow the truck with someone to see what the actual speed is?

11. trucky909

Jul 4, 2014
    Speed arw fine....i look at the GPS speed and odometer.

No I put new one in.....pilot bearing....clutch brake...flywheel resurfaced....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.