High security truck keys.

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Tb0n3, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    I don't know if any of you have noticed, but the keys they use to secure our trucks are junk. There's barely any security to them. We live in these things for weeks at a time and can park in some shady areas, but key designs haven't changed much in 50 years. Has anyone considered changing their cores to high security keys, or petitioning the manufacturers to do better where our personal safety is concerned?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    The manufacturers could care less.... 150k for a truck no alarm no locking fuel caps...etc

And you have to pay extra for keyless entry.

4. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    You really want to deal with the hassle of finding a locksmith that can program a chip key when you're in the middle of nowhere?

spyder7723 and crb Thank this.
  5. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    I never said chip keys. There's plenty of high security physical locks out there which can be keyed just the same, but with different equipment. If manufacturers decided to move to high security keys, you'd have locksmiths buying the equipment to cut them.

6. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Yeah know how you feel dude when i worked for LW Miller i discovered to my dismay how any other truck with the same model could actually open your door i was sleeping at the depot one morning got woke up by some dude who claimed he was taking it to do some service didn't bother knocking or checking with me first just jumped in and started it up.

7. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I understand your point but locks just keep honest people honest.
    Your post reminded me of a driver from Salt Lake City in about about 1986. He was robbed and everything in his truck was cleaned out. He said he called the police and they made a report. Also said it had been going on for a while. Thieves stick a big needle through a rubber seal and gas the cab. Knock the driver out and clean house. I do not recall where he said that happened at.
    Maybe get a dog?

8. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Sounds like a pretty good way to kill people. Are you sure you didn't see that on CSI or something?

9. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    No. it's real. I think it was ether they sprayed and when you were out they could rob you at their leisure.

10. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

The way I heard the story since at least 1994 was criminals spray starter fluid (ether) in the sleeper vents to put driver to sleep and then empty the truck.

11. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    And how would they get in if there was proper locks and security for the truck? Even if you're asleep/knocked out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.