High Visibility choices....and how do you clean them.

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by supersnackbar, Jun 18, 2018.

For those that have to wear high visibility gear at customers, which do you wear...

1. Vest

25 vote(s)
    73.5%
  2. T-shirt

11 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. Something else

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    The title and poll says it all. I choose to wear the High Viz T-shirt most of the time, but even the strongest Shout/Spray-n-Wash/cleaning spray doesn't seem to get the dirt and grease out...how do you get the grease and dirt stains out?...or do you just throw them away when they get to bad?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i use Lestoil. kinda pricey depending on the size of the bottle. i pour it onto any grease spots, let it soak in for about 15 minutes, and throw it into the wash.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lestoil-Heavy-Duty-Multi-Purpose-Cleaner-48-oz/23619936

on my job, i do not need a vest. but before my company got onsite fueling, i wore a vest at the truck stop.

Tug Toy and supersnackbar Thank this.
  4. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    If I want to be seen I will wear a vest, then I just put on the bullseye and they can aim easier, You are responsible for your own safety so open them eyes and be aware always.

5. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    I have some work pants that are perfect except they never met a stain they didn't want to be friends with. My hi-viz shirts are like that also.

The trick is to firmly scrub the Spray and Wash into the stains. I had a bottle of the gel stuff for when I travel, still use the brush to scrub in regular Spray and Wash.

There's two things at work to get stains out, chemical and mechanical. If they're real bad I add a pair of sneakers or a small rug to help with the mechanical during the wash cycle.

If the stain doesn't come out, treat them again and wash again before they dry or the stain will stick around.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  6. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Thanks. We have to wear high viz at all plants and at most of our customers. I chose to wear the t-shirt, especially in the summer because I don't need a 2nd layer, even if it's a thin mesh vest. I hadn't tried lestoil, but I have been using a bottle of spray-n-wash and shout a week, and I have shirts that won't come clean. I even bought a 5 gal bucket and put them in a laundry soap soak for a couple days, the only thing that did was make the wash really foamy when I did laundry the next time. I have almost resolved myself to buying new shirts from Wally every month. Sure, they're crappy quality, but at the price, they're almost disposable anyway.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  7. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    I use at minimum a Type R vest rated as ANSI class 2 if in a low speed traffic area, class 3 if on the side of the road. I supplement this with class E garments such as a ball cap or gaiters on my pants (Velcro mounts). The goal is to make the human form clearly identifiable and to highlight your extremities so that they don't get struck accidentally. Type O garments such as simple t-shirts and light vests are acceptable inside warehouses and other low traffic, non-public areas.

I choose the vest because it acts as a bib to keep my shirt clean, is easily washed and disposable. Hi-Viz garments should be replaced when soiled enough that the stain doesn't come out, when the material begins to fade or breakdown or every 6 months.

Keep in mind, a vest can become a safety hazard itself if not worn properly. When wearing a vest always keep it closed as designed, zipper or snap, for two reasons. 1, it is not compliant if not closed because it loses its design shape, and 2, if can become caught on moving machinery and cause an entanglement.

Here is a basic article explaining hi-viz garments and the standards.
    ANSI Regulations and Apparel | AW Direct

This is a lousy image but it shows the vest I wore when hauling cars. I chose this particular one because it was class 3 compliant, had plastic closures (so I was less likely to scratch a car while loading), was tear-away if I became caught on something, and fit over my winter jacket. It cleaned nicely with simple Dawn dish detergent and would last more than the recommended 6 month interval even when worn daily.
    ML KISHIGO Class 3 Breakaway Vest, Lime, M

20150919_135654.jpg

8. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I do not wear high vis stuff, but let me throw this in here: in the oilfield we stain up our clothes quick, fast, and in a hurry. I’ll soak em in regular old Dawn dish soap, and then wash as normal. Works just as well if not better than anything else I’ve ever tried, especially on grease/oil/fuel stains.

wore out, stwik, Tug Toy and 3 others Thank this.
  9. supersnackbar

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Some of our customers won't let you in w/o full gear, including hardhat and gloves...some even require the kevlar sleeves (we haul glass), so it's all according to the customer's safety rules. I would prefer not to have to put it all on, but I like what I do, and most of our customers are good people to deal with, so I try not to pizz them off.

Tug Toy and brian991219 Thank this.
  10. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    As much of a pin in the arse as it is, it is really in your best interest to fully comply, if not over comply. Now that I am retired from actually driving for the most part and spending my time consulting I have seen the other side of things. Insurance companies will try every trick in the book to get out of, or reduce the amount of a claim. Trust me, I hate wearing all the gear as well, but have seen too many workers cheated out of what is due them because of minor infractions or irregularities in how they use their assigned PPE.

I have been called to court to testify as a subject matter expert in defense of (will not testify against a worker) many different issues, mostly injured workers that were not following all the technically required procedures. Once the insurance company identifies a missing step, such as a vi-viz garment or other personal protective equipment they pounce like tigers on a meal. This has resulted in the loss of coverage.

Not PPE related but one case that sticks out in my mind was a towing company that was sued, and lost, because their driver was slightly in the travel lane loading a disabled vehicle -something that is part of their job, right? Well, he was struck by a passing motorist and they sued because the motorist claimed they could not recognize the situation because of improper lighting. The tower was using all the legally required lighting, but because his rollback bed was elevated, as required to winch a car onto the deck, the lighting was not on a level plain and not as effective. Pure b.s., but the jury bought it and the tower, and his employee we found liable for the injuries.

11. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.